Pentair Valve Actuator wiring

Nov 26, 2013
Philippines
The Pentairpool valve actuators, like 263045, are operated by 24 VAC. I have tried to find detailed info regarding how they work from an electrical point of view, but no info from Pentairpool, nor on other web sites.

They come with 3 wires. Now my question is how to connect them.

Is there a zero wire and two wires, e.g. one for each direction? Or is one wire only ground and 2 wires are used for 24 VAC. Or is there an automatic stop and reverse mechanism in the actuator.

Answers are welcome as I have to plan for the size of the pipe and number of wires I need per actuator and how many relays to operate the actuator. I also need a fair estimate of the current that an actuator will draw from the power supply.

Note: I didn't ask Pentairpool yet as I have still no answer from them on my first question from 2 weeks ago, although they promised me to react within a few days.

Thanks Jerry,

I assume that the Pentair actuators are working similarly as your JVA 2444. So it means that when I want to operate the actuator directly from my (to be installed) automated controller, I need 2 relays, one for each direction. It might be that the controller is equipped already with a SPDT relay and timer like what you showed in the drawing, so that is my next task to find out.

Europino said:
Is there a zero wire and two wires, e.g. one for each direction? Or is one wire only ground and 2 wires are used for 24 VAC. Or is there an automatic stop and reverse mechanism in the actuator...

Europino,
Here is an electrical schematic of the inside of a Jandy Valve actuator - the Pentair is likely similar. The cams on the motor shaft and micro switches are used to stop the motor at the desired position. The cam positions are adjustable. The toggle switch reverses the setup - if the valve moves one way when you wanted it to move the other way - switching the toggle switch will correct that. The toggle switch can also be used to manually operate the valve. On a Jandy, the switch is on the underside of the valve actuator.
Mike

Attachments

• Jandy Valve Actuator.jpg
    Jandy Valve Actuator.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 277
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.