Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pentair Valve Actuator wiring

1. Back To Top    #1

Pentair Valve Actuator wiring

The Pentairpool valve actuators, like 263045, are operated by 24 VAC. I have tried to find detailed info regarding how they work from an electrical point of view, but no info from Pentairpool, nor on other web sites.

They come with 3 wires. Now my question is how to connect them.

Is there a zero wire and two wires, e.g. one for each direction? Or is one wire only ground and 2 wires are used for 24 VAC. Or is there an automatic stop and reverse mechanism in the actuator.

Answers are welcome as I have to plan for the size of the pipe and number of wires I need per actuator and how many relays to operate the actuator. I also need a fair estimate of the current that an actuator will draw from the power supply.

Note: I didn't ask Pentairpool yet as I have still no answer from them on my first question from 2 weeks ago, although they promised me to react within a few days.
    I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.
    Lucille Ball

Pool: IG 21.000 G concrete/plaster/ceramic tiles, Design: Peanut shape; 2 floor drains; 2 skimmers; 2 water return inlets; 2 vacuum connections; Auto water replenishing, Filter: Mega V650 sand/glass 26" - 70 GPM, Pump: Pentair IntelliFlo VF-3050 max 174 GPM, Owner Built: Dec 2011, Water treatment: EcoSmarte /w controller including CO2 valve/canister, Location: Philippines, tropical climate, 30+C or 86+F

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pentair Valve Actuator wiring

Black is commom 24vac fused line. Red and White are switched 24vac + line.
    [attachment=1:15k9hflg]controller wiring2.JPG[/attachment:15k9hflg]

Current requirements are .75 amps per actuator
    [attachment=0:15k9hflg]Actuator wiring.jpg[/attachment:15k9hflg]

valve-actuator-wiring-t13814.html
    http://www.smarthome.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5816
    Easytouch, Intelliflo, Intellichem, Acid tank with pump, Intellichlor and Autelis network interface.

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks Jerry,

I assume that the Pentair actuators are working similarly as your JVA 2444. So it means that when I want to operate the actuator directly from my (to be installed) automated controller, I need 2 relays, one for each direction. It might be that the controller is equipped already with a SPDT relay and timer like what you showed in the drawing, so that is my next task to find out.
    I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.
    Lucille Ball

Pool: IG 21.000 G concrete/plaster/ceramic tiles, Design: Peanut shape; 2 floor drains; 2 skimmers; 2 water return inlets; 2 vacuum connections; Auto water replenishing, Filter: Mega V650 sand/glass 26" - 70 GPM, Pump: Pentair IntelliFlo VF-3050 max 174 GPM, Owner Built: Dec 2011, Water treatment: EcoSmarte /w controller including CO2 valve/canister, Location: Philippines, tropical climate, 30+C or 86+F

4. Back To Top    #4

You only need one, "Single pole double throw relay" as shown in the schematic.
    Easytouch, Intelliflo, Intellichem, Acid tank with pump, Intellichlor and Autelis network interface.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Europino
    Is there a zero wire and two wires, e.g. one for each direction? Or is one wire only ground and 2 wires are used for 24 VAC. Or is there an automatic stop and reverse mechanism in the actuator...
    Europino,
    Here is an electrical schematic of the inside of a Jandy Valve actuator - the Pentair is likely similar. The cams on the motor shaft and micro switches are used to stop the motor at the desired position. The cam positions are adjustable. The toggle switch reverses the setup - if the valve moves one way when you wanted it to move the other way - switching the toggle switch will correct that. The toggle switch can also be used to manually operate the valve. On a Jandy, the switch is on the underside of the valve actuator.
    Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ~17' x 34' IG pool with attached spa - 20500 gallons - Gunite with a "pebblesheen"-ish finish
    Jandy iAqualink with iPad and Jandy PDA remote - Pentair IntelliFlo VS 11018 Pump
    AquaRite SWCG - Pentair SMBW 4060 DE Filter - Really Old Raypak heater
    "Wall-E" an Arneson-Hayward Navigator - A couple of Jandy/Zodiac WaterColors LED Lights - Blue-White F-1000 Flow meter