First accurate tests - high CYA and CH

Finally received my K-2006 test kit. The first test reasults are:

FC: 2.5 ppm
CC: 0
pH: 7.5
TA: 200 ppm
CH: 950 ppm
CYA: not sure about 1/3 of the way from the bottom of the tube to the 100 ppm mark (I was careful with judging the black dot, and repeated the reading)

So my understanding is that the only solution is drain and refil. The area in which I live has a "pool can be filled once every 5 years" limit, and having just moved into the house, I don't know when it was last refilled.

The questions:
1) What should I do maintain the pool until I can either refill or have RO treatment?
2) When should I do the refill if I can do so?
3) If I can't refill, I will see if the RO people in San Diego will come up here. If I need to take this option, when is the best time to do this?
4) Any alternative solutions?

Thank you

Your two issues are your CH and CYA, both of which are best fixed by replacing water.

To deal with the CH, you'll want to keep your pH toward the low end of the range to avoid scaling.

For the CYA, you won't have any real issues as long as you keep a handle on your pool. Your normal FC level will be much higher than normal, but your chlorine consumption from sun light will be much lower than normal. The issue blows up if you have an algae bloom because the shock levels needed are very high. Check out The Chlorine/CYA Chart for the levels you need.

Measure the CH of your tap water to get an idea of the best option for proceeding. You may be able to drain a few inches of water and replace it over time to reach more appropriate levels

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.