Help with filter replacement for newbie

mrsktw

Aug 14, 2013
Our filter cracked open over the weekend and we have to replace. I remember when we bought the house the "pool guy" said it wasn't big enough for our pool and we should switch to sand. After discovering this sight I realized he wasn't doing his job properly and ya'll suggested that the filter was fine. Now that it has to be replaced I am wondering if we should go with the same cartridge type or switch to something that works better. All suggestions welcome as we are still new to the pool world! Our pool specs should be posted in my signature. Thanks!

Sticking with a cartridge filter is fine but, if you have to replace it anyway I'd consider upping it to a 200 sqft filter given the size of your pool. However, if you rarely ever had to clean the filter you have, another 100 sqft filter may work just fine for you.

If you hated cleaning the filter, you could consider sand, but it has it's own idiosyncrasies, like requiring a good amount of water to backwash.

Having said all that, is there anything about your current filter that you don't like?

We usually clean the filter every couple months but its really not hard to do. The repair man came and suggested we up it to a bigger filter that I believe he said would be 4 cartridges and we would only have to clean once or twice a year. He also said we could switch to DE if we wanted but not to change if we are ok with maintenance now. It is covered under our home warranty so we could pay the extra to upgrade but I know upgrading is not always best and we do like our setup now. We just don't have experience with anything else.

Is the pressure rising about 25% above clean pressure when you're cleaning it, or do you just do it every couple of months? If the pressure is rising you could consider getting a larger size but if it isn't then I'd probably stay with what you have.

There is almost never a downside to getting a bigger filter, mostly it lets you go longer between cleaning, the bigger question should be do you want sand, cartridge or DE. Each has advantages and disadvantages, for a short answer I would say if you were happy with the cartridge go back with another cartridge filter, bigger if you want to, but cleaning every couple of months is not too bad, when it gets to be a real issue for most people is when you have to clean more than once per month. You don't have your location in your profile so we can't make regionally specific suggestions, such as if you have high water costs or potential seasonal water restrictions, you will likely want to get a cartridge filter since they waste the least amount of water while cleaning.

Ike

The pressure usually sits at 8-9 and we clean when it reaches 12-15. For a while we were cleaning weekly until I ordered a new filter and now it lasts much longer. We are in Texas. I'm leaning towards another cartridge but going a little bigger.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.