Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Pump shorted

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Pump shorted

Noticed my main pool pump not working this morning. It's a fairly new (replaced 6 month ago) Hayward Super II - problem free since I installed it until today. Pulled the electrical housing cover off and find a one of the two hot connections shorted - wired burnt off the connector - lots of black around the connection. Plan to remove motor from housing and take it to Leslie's to see if it still works. Any other suggestions?
    16,000 gal in-ground Pebble-tec pool / Pebble-sheen spa. Jandy AquaPure 1400 SW Cl gen (SWG) system. In-floor cleaning system w/ Hayward EcoStar 2.0 HP VSP pump. Hayward 31" sand filter. 900 sq ft Heliocol solar panels (on roof) w/ separate 1 HP Pentair WhisperFlow single speed pump. Water feature with separate Hayward 0.85 HP VSP pump.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool Pump shorted

Is it burned off motor side or electrical side? If it's electrical feed side, then the motor is probably still good. Sounds like a bad connection.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

It's burned at the connection screw and the wire itself is really charged.
    16,000 gal in-ground Pebble-tec pool / Pebble-sheen spa. Jandy AquaPure 1400 SW Cl gen (SWG) system. In-floor cleaning system w/ Hayward EcoStar 2.0 HP VSP pump. Hayward 31" sand filter. 900 sq ft Heliocol solar panels (on roof) w/ separate 1 HP Pentair WhisperFlow single speed pump. Water feature with separate Hayward 0.85 HP VSP pump.

4. Back To Top    #4

You'll probably be able to salvage it by cutting back the wire and reterminating it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Since the connector on the motor electronics was so fried, I pulled the motor and took it to an electric motor repair place. They said it would take a week to get a new connector and repair it, but they gave me an old slightly used connector for free. Replaced the connector and all the wiring from the control box to the pump. Now the pump runs for about a half a second and trips the pool equipment dual breaker. Sigh. The breaker was not tripping this morning, so I either wired it wrong or there's more to it. Miller time - I'll worry about this some more tomorrow.