New East Texas Pool Build- Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 12, 2013
This is part 2 of the thread documenting the build of our little pool project. Part 1 can be found by clicking here. I encourage you to read it.

It has been a good day or so to be away from the computer. We planned to be on the road to see family all Christmas Day, so we changed up Christmas Eve. We went to the Christmas Eve service at Church, went out to dinner and then to see Christmas lights. When we got home, our little one was the first to notice that something was amiss. First, she noticed that the carrots we were getting ready to set out for Santa were missing. Then she noticed that some of the cookies that we were getting ready to leave out for Santa had been eaten. You could see the wheels turning as she tried to understand what all that meant. Very quickly the light turned on and she went running to the Christmas tree to find that Santa had come early. It was so cute to witness and I will never forget how precious it was to see in person. We had a fun evening. Santa brought our little one a new Wii U. Now I did not even know that there was a Wii U. So I asked "What is the difference between a Wii U and a 'Wii Wii'?" Well we started laughing and that is the way the rest of the night went.

Yesterday we left early and drove to spend the day with my parents, family and extended family. My parents invited an older retired couple to spend Christmas with us since their family would not be there until after Christmas. This was a couple I have known since I was 16. The wife who is very special told my Mom that I have not changed a bit. I thought of that after she said it. I guess I do not try to be something I am not. I try to have fun where ever I am, but the reality is that if I am upset, you can usually tell by looking at me. We spent more time driving to my parent's house than we actually spent there and of course then we had to drive home.

I hope that you each had a good holiday. For some the holiday will continue and for others the holiday is over. We will be back at work today.

You will notice that some things have taken place concerning our pool build thread. In some ways it is kind of weird and in others it is kind of sad (kind of like life). It is what it is: parts are beautiful, parts are ugly and parts defy explanation. Some will find it hard believing this, but I find that I do not know what to say. I am speechless and that is rare. But we will continue on with PART 2 of our pool build thread. We can say a lot of things about life, but we can never say it is boring. The path ahead is not clear, but I will try to finish what was begun.

Happy Christmas Ken! I'm glad you had such a good Christmas Eve - it sounds like it was a lot of fun.
Our little boy is 2 so we had a lot of fun this Christmas with him.

Hang in there on the pool. You're so close now and you've come so far. It will be a stunning backyard paradise when it's done so just try and hang onto that thought if you can.

Looking for information from others who are much smarter than I am on this matter. We paid for our planned pool heater last week and I researched it a little bit and it sure looks like the online reviews of the thing are not very good. It is a Pentair 460736 master temp, 400,000 BTU (nickel instead of cooper) pool heater. Does anyone use this heater and here is the big question, if you agree that it is not a good option, what would you suggest as an alternative? Thanks in advance. Here is a picture off the internet-

I have one installed on our pool. The pool was built in 2005, not by us, and looks original. We bought the house in 2010. We have had some issues where if it rains at all the unit gets confused and will not heat. Once it dries it runs with no issues. I have tried numerous times to track down what is getting wet to cause the issue. Outside of that it has run flawlessly and will heat my pool about 4 degrees an hour on a windless warm day.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have the same heater Ken. The good thing about the master temps is that they are a great deal smaller than the competition. If you were to switch to a jandy LX series, its more than double the size. Also, if you have a pentair filter and pump, you'll get the 3 year warranty on all of it, so it shouldn't be much of an issue.

Has anyone used the Belkin WiFi light switch? I got 6 of these for Christmas. I want to install them in the pool house to control the lights under the cabana. This should take 3 and it looks like I will have 3 left over. I am thinking of using them to control certain outdoor lights. Once you connect them to the wireless router, you can control the lights with an app. But you can also schedule the lights to come on at a certain time and go off at a certain time (like the lights outside the garage).

I've got all Pentair equipment, put the heater is Sta-Rite. My PB recommended it based on the issues he observed with the pentair heaters.
Sta-Rite is now one of the Pentair brands and we have got the same 3 year warranty on it.
Just something to consider.

agy5epa3.jpg

KenGood said:
Has anyone used the Belkin WiFi light switch? I got 6 of these for Christmas. I want to install them in the pool house to control the lights under the cabana. This should take 3 and it looks like I will have 3 left over. I am thinking of using them to control certain outdoor lights. Once you connect them to the wireless router, you can control the lights with an app. But you can also schedule the lights to come on at a certain time and go off at a certain time (like the lights outside the garage).

No, but I am interested in hearing how yours work out. Both of my thermostats in the house are controllable via a internet APP. I really like the ability to control certain things while I am away.

Will do. The reviews of these are a little all over the place, but I decided to give them a try because it is just the geeky kind of thing that has my name written all over it. Ha!

Wireless network upgrade update- I did get the network at the house redone in anticipation of adding the additional wireless router to the pool house. It has been up and running for about a week now. I also had to replace the external hard drive in the attic where we were backing up. I think we just wore the thing out. So I have been doing initial backups on all of the computers which usually take a day and a half each for the first time. So far, the new network has surpassed all expectations and I really, really like the new dd-wrt firmware (even with the trouble I underwent in "unbricking" the new wireless router). Highly recommend. The main house is now down to just two wireless routers; instead, of three. Also, you do not realize that you are switching access points anymore unlike the old system. Very happy with it.

Well I do not know if this is a milestone or not (maybe it is just evidence of how long our project has been ongoing), but our build thread regarding our pool build (Part 1, Part 2) has now reached over 20,000 views. I think we all need to get a life. Thanks for being a part of this experience. The advice that you all have provided has been instrumental in changing the direction of several parts of our project. Also, to those of you who have provided encouragement and a kick in the pants when needed I would like to give a special shout out. Finally, to the person on this website who recently finished his pool which has a really cool slide, I want you to know that I am about finished with my plan to steal that thing. I just need to rent a crane and get you all out of the house for a few days. If you mysteriously win a contest and a trip somewhere like Disney World, it was not me and it is not part of my plan. But you should be afraid, very afraid. Ha!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.