Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Heat Pump Costs

1. Back To Top    #1

Heat Pump Costs

I'm sure this topic has been covered but, Is there a formula to determine how much it costs hourly to run a heat pump??

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Heat Pump Costs

Welcome to the forum!

Energy use of a heat pumps depends on the COP. Here is a good reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_pump

I also have a spreadsheet tab called "Heaters" that compares the cost of operating different types of heaters in this workbook:

Heat Transfer Tools
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Also keep in mind where you are geographically located. It does make a difference.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

4. Back To Top    #4

If by geography you mean that the local air temperature and humidity affects COP, then I agree but it is COP and run time which determines the energy use. The cost of running the heat pump is also determined by the local electrical costs. But COP and energy costs are the only two things that should be affected by location.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

5. Back To Top    #5

rule of them here in Florida is $1.00 per hr. Our kWh cost is $0.15 per kWh so you can ratio it from there based on electrical costs. The number of hours is totally individual based on pool temp you want and local weather and whether you use a pool cover. I run mine 2-3 hrs per day to maintain 86F during the winter months for a 11000gal pool with a pool cover and the pool facing North (mostly shaded during the day in the winter
    Don SW Florida
    10,000 gal in ground concrete pool
    Pentair Cartridge filter, Pentair SWG, Pentair Intelliflow VS pump (11018)
    FAFCO solar panels w/Pentair SolarTouch controller
    using BBB for pool chemistry/Lamotte ColorQ tester for daily testing

6. Back To Top    #6

Thank you for your responses. What I have found do to everyone's help is a simple formula to determine my hourly cost to run my heat pump: (based purely on my unit)

Unit Amperage (50 Amps) x Unit Voltage (220 Volts) = Amps used then Divided by 1000 = KW
    My Unit: 50 Amps x 220 Volts = 11,000 watts Divided by 1000 = 11KW
    Then - Cost per KW hour (.09 cents) x KW used (11) x hours used (1) = 99 Cents per hour

I went a step further yesterday and after heating up my hot tub/spa I measured the Amps being used to maintain the temperature which dropped to 35 Amps, which now dropped my hourly price to 69.3 Cents per hour. The outside temperature was 75 degrees and I am sure when the outside temperature rises it will be cheaper to run hourly once the desired temperature is reached..