Intellichem comport board connection

kitamiman

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 20, 2011
I am hoping that someone on the forum with an Intellichem might be kind enough to pop it open and check out the answer to this question. I would call Pentair but they are closed for Christmas...

OK - last week I installed an Intellichem. In the course of installation, the small circuit board that has the J7 com port block for the comm wires on it became unplugged from the ribbon cable that attaches it to the main board. My problem now is that the six-pin connector on the end of the ribbon cable will fit either way up, and after searching Google for hours I have still not found the answer as to which way to orient it.

The small circuit board attaches to the main circuit board with a ribbon cable that has a red stripe on one side (I guess for pin 1??). On mine, this ribbon cable is plugged into the main board with the red stripe on the left and the cable dropping down, which I assume is correct. Now, on the small board, with the board oriented so that the writing on the board is the right way up and the FOUR terminal com port is at the bottom, should the ribbon cable be plugged in with the red stripe on the left and the cable going down or with the red stripe on the right and the cable going up?

I would love to get this finished if any Intellichem owner can find the time to drop the front and take a look...

A Merry Christmas to all.

Follow up to this question for future readers. The board pictured above is an older intellichem board. The newer board currently "Revision B" does not use the extra daughter on the bottom and the comm wiring goes directly to the board at the same connector. In the revision B board the gray ribbon cable is only to upgrade firmware.

Interestingly, my revision B board died recently and I had to use my old board which had been damaged in a lightning strike. The old board works when I hook it up directly to the com wiring like the newer revision B without the extra daughter board. I supect the daughter board was fried, but the Intellichm board saved. If someone sees this I would love to know why it works without the comm board. Thanks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.