Glacier Pool chillers

Jun 9, 2008
Richmond, TX
Howdy! I live in S. Texas and have a one-year old pool that is in the sun all day. Temp gets to 92-94F and just not refreshiing. We ran our waterfall all night several times and only been able to drop the temp 2 degrees. My family will not swim in the day. This is very dissapointing considering the amount of money we spent. I talked with Glacier Pool Cool Chillers and he claims they can lower it 10-14F. One of his distributors came over and we discussed it and where to put it. Cost installed with concrete pad poured is around $2600. The model we need is the GPC-25. Anybody have experience with one? Link below

http://www.glacierpoolcoolers.com/residential.htm

For that price... Can you (or want to) mount some passive solar panels on your house? I live in Austin and for the last month I have been using my solar system to cool my pool between 4am - 7am. I have been able to keep the temp @ 4pm around 86 degrees. Currently, I have my solar set at 82 degrees which will either heat/cool the water to the desire temp. Our pool was getting 90 degrees right before the heat wave. If I didn't cool it, it would be well over 90 by the time I get home in the afternoon. The solar will also heat, extending your swim season and it runs off your pump. Just food for thought.

:)

Sabot said:
For that price... Can you (or want to) mount some passive solar panels on your house? I live in Austin and for the last month I have been using my solar system to cool my pool between 4am - 7am. I have been able to keep the temp @ 4pm around 86 degrees. Currently, I have my solar set at 82 degrees which will either heat/cool the water to the desire temp. Our pool was getting 90 degrees right before the heat wave. If I didn't cool it, it would be well over 90 by the time I get home in the afternoon. The solar will also heat, extending your swim season and it runs off your pump. Just food for thought.

:)

I also live in Austin...just curious, who installed the solar panels and what kind of cost does that incur?

I don't live far from you at all (Clear Lake if you know where that is) and it is not uncommon at all for my pool to hit 93 degrees. I'm with you, that is just too warm and not refreshing at all. There was THIS THREAD that talked about how to build a cheap cooler that utilized evaporation to cool the water. I built one and it hasn't really helped. I have noticed that if we get some rain and the water cools down, it will help hold that cooler temp longer, but as far as just straight cooling the water, I have seen no improvement. I also have a waterfall.

I have a feeling that our high humidity has the greatest effect, or lack thereof, on this not working. I only run it during the day so I really don't know if it would help by running at night as well. It wouold be more humid at night too.

Hi guys,

In high humidity area of Baton Rouge, Louisiana and similiar situation.

Last weekend, my pool went from it's relatively comfortable 90 degrees to an unacceptable 94 deg F.

I had been using my "deck jets" during the day, which had helped to keep it at 90, but now needed more help.

I built the pool cooler thing, and the first night it dropped it to 86, rising back up to 91 during the day. This week, I've only been running it during the day and the water temp has been maxing out at 91. No rain this week and air temp has been in the upper 90's.

It's worth a try. Including the trip to the big box store, it took me about 2 hours total to be in business. Used two valves so I can bypass it if I want. It's not so pretty, but for less than $20 and 2 hours, it ain't bad.

good luck with your temp issues!

Steve

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.