Need opinions on this wooden pool deck.

Matt Ush

In The Industry
May 18, 2012
We are renovating a residential pool which has been built into a wood deck. So imagine a deck (40x40) with a small octagon pool dropped in. The land beneath is on a hill so the pool is half in ground, half above ground. The track for the liner sits on top of the deck and bolts to the deck. The coping (pavers) sit right on top of the deck and end abruptly making the pavers sit 2 3/8 inches higher than the wood deck. This looks not only dangerous but makes for quite the eye sore.

I would like to rip this out and have the coping sit level/flush with the pool deck which is where I need everyones help. I can remove all the deck boards and replace the 2x8s with 2x10s. This will raise the deck boards 2 inches making them level with the pool. In my opinion this will be the most complicated solution. This also requires replacing all the boards. My goal was to refurbish the existing boards with a pressure wash.

I would like to hear suggestions/see pictures of examples which will require the least amount of modifying.

Option 2 is to rip the pool out entirely as the residence sits beside a lake. At this point, ripping the pool out will be a lot cheaper for us than bringing it back up to par. All the filtration equipment is shot as well as the liner.

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 134
If it were mine and I knew I was going to have to replace the liner and filtration system (assuming I wanted to keep the pool) I would try a less expensive possibly temporary fix to the wood deck. You could get a 4 x 6 and create a threshold that transitioned from the wood deck to the pavers or you could come out say 4 ft from the pool edge and create a sub-deck that was 2-3/8 inches higher than the rest of the deck putting the height difference in the decks away from the pool edge. The best thing about the threshold idea is if you don't like it down the road you have not sunk that much money into it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.