Another new guy. First Test results

MrPat

Dec 18, 2013
Ponce Inlet FL
I just got my TF-100. Here are the results.

FC 9
CC 0
PH 8.2
TA 200
CH 330
CYA 60

Pool Temp 65 degrees. The pool is in a courtyard and gets no direct sun in the winter (summer is a different story)

I have a chlorinator now. I'll add wet acid tomorrow following pool math's formula. I have too much chlorine and my CYA is high. Pool math suggests replacing 33% of my pool water to lower my CYA. I will consider using bleach instead of the chlorinator, but my I am concerned with summer pool maintenance. We travel for two or three weeks at a time. the chlorinator eliminates testing every day. Otherwise, I am willing to put in the maintenance time and effort. What do other owners do while they are away?

If that is a puck feeder, it's only going to keep raising your CYA level.
If your going to be away from home and can't have somebody manually add bleach everyday, a SWG or chlorine injection system would be your best way to go IMO.
Yes, lower your PH into the 7's with muratic acid. Use pool math to determine dosage. Does your PH raise quickly? If it does lower your TA. There is an article in pool school on lowering TA. Your TA is a bit high. Your FC level is not that high. It'll drift down on its own.

What do other owners do while they are away?
You can approach it different ways. With your pool temp, I would be tempted to put 5-8 pucks in the feeder while you are gone. The lower temp will greatly reduce your chlorine consumption so those five or so pucks will increase your CYA some but not to the point of extreme.

At some point then, you will want to drain about 1/3 of your pool water to reduce you CYA down to around 40-50 and you can continue to use the pucks as long as you monitor your CYA and not let it get far out of that range of 40-50.

Welcome to TFP Mr. Pat!

I would suggest looking at adding only bleach for your FC source once you get the CYA down. When you are home anyway. You will need to do a fair amount of testing on FC to determine how your SWG performs before you can leave it two or three weeks at a time. Not difficult, it just takes some time to get the "feel" for what goes on in your pool. Honestly, that fact won't change with any Chlorine source you use.

Ok, I've done some reading about the SWG systems and I've changed my thinking. After I get my CYA down I will give the bleach method a try. When I go on vacation I'll use the tablets for that period and then go back to bleach. That will be cheaper and certainly more simple. I don't need to add more expensive equipment to maintain doing it this way. I'll just need to drain some pool water occasionally.

This site is a great education for me. Thanks!
and Merry Christmas

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.