Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Dial Timer

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Dial Timer

I have a Intermatic mechanical/dial time switch. I don't have the specific manufacturer number but similar as to ones many have. Yellow dial. I have reviewed several postings but they all seem to reflect issues where the motor gears are not running etc. My specific problem is the motor is running as are the gears. The dial stopped moving. It is not the tripper pins and the dial is in the correct position where it should turn. Stopped working a few days ago. I can manually turn the pump off and on from the switch. Could it still be a motor issue? I have had clocks where the motor is running but the correct time is never maintained. What other reasons could the dial not move? Thanks.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool Dial Timer

Welcome to TFP.

It's probably one of the gears have slipped on the shaft. I've seen that happen and all the gears will turn but one.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks Bama Rambler. I will pull it out in a couple of days and see if I can turn all the gears. If I get any other responses will followup as needed. I will just work it manually until after Christmas. Will let you know.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Sounds like its a bad timer and needs to be replaced.

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks. It probably is as the original one from 1994 as I have owned the place since 2003. I have replaced most of the equipment since then.

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

It's probably just the clock motor. Easily replaced and cheap. Right above the clock dial is a oval hole of which you can shine a light in and see if the gears on the clock motor are turning. If they aren't, then that is most likely the issue. Turn off all power and pop the time out of the box, get the motor numbers off the back and order a new one.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks ps0303 but not the motor as the gears are still running and I can see that plus hear the motor run. I was hoping it was that as cheaper to replace than the timer part. Could it still be the motor even though all appears to be running? The dial does not move. That is in the proper position as are the trippers. In my original post I mentioned have had clocks that run off electric but as their motor gets older they no longer keep the correct time.

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

You could have a broken gear then. You will need to pull the clock timer out and look at it. The most common issue with a clock on staying up on time or moving is the motor but sounds like yours is running. So check the gears.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks. I will check the gears tomorrow. I will let the site know what I find and plans from there.

10. Back To Top    #10

You can get the whole mechanism with case cheaper than buying just the mechanism. You can sell the case on ebay. The clock motor is pretty cheap.

Here's a link for a replacement T101M 115V (Mechanism only) $42
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/INTERMATIC-T101 ... 1269095058?

Here's a link for a replacement T104 (230V) (Mechanism Only) $46
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/INTERMATIC-T104 ... 1332112965?

Here's the whole T101 (115V) cheaper the mechanism snaps out of of the case $28
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intermatic-Mech ... 1240394987?
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

11. Back To Top    #11

Thanks Bobodaclown. I actually saw those on ebay but wasn't sure if they could be easily removed from the case. Now I know that. I know little about electric so how do I determine the voltage I have? 115 vs 230V? I looked on the timer and all over the enclosure and do not see anything as to that. I am going to start with replacing the motor then see if it works. If not then will purchase the timer as well. I would have replaced both as near 20 years old.

12. Back To Top    #12

The motor is either 115V or 230V. If you check on the back of the timer motor (that drives all the gears it should be marked.)

This link brings you to the intermatic T100 series home page. Check under resources for directions.
    http://www.intermatic.com/Products/Time ... eries.aspx
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

13. Back To Top    #13

The motor lists 125V 60HZ. Would I go with a range that includes 115V to.......? Possibly a T103? I have wires going to just 3 terminals as best I can tell. There is the T100 series and the Intermatic firm states it depends on the voltage and number of terminals. I ordered a motor and noticed earlier it had stopped running. Power was still going to the timer and I am using it manually as to the pump. I think the motor was nearing an end. Once I receive it and install I will advise. If necessary I will let the pool store tech look at the timer so I end up with the correct one. Thanks again.

14. Back To Top    #14

To finish this one I received and replaced the motor and all is working well. Before the motor stopped it was running for a few days but the yellow dial was not moving. I appreciate those that responded.