Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump plumbing challenge

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump plumbing challenge

My pump suction line is plumbed to a Jandy valve with only about an inch of expose pipe coming out of the valve into a coupling. The pump inlet is a fraction of an inch from the other side of the coupling. Once I cut it there is nothing to glue to. Any advice on how to plumb a new pump in?
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Re: Pump plumbing challenge

Welcome to the forum.

Wow! I don't see any wiggle room there at all. I think you are going to have to start from scratch and lose at least two of the valves on the suction side and the entire connection beween pump and filter.

From the pic, I can't tell how far back you will have to cut to restart your looks like you may lose a thrid valve but I can only partially see it.

There are some ways to save those glued connections but, in your case, you have so many of them I think you will have to start over. Sorry.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    SW Louisiana

Yeah, sorry it looks like your another victim of the neat compact pad layout pool builders seem to love to create with no thought towards maintenance.

Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

4. Back To Top    #4
    Pleasanton, CA

Why are you replacing the pump? If the motor went bad, you could just replace that and save some work.
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater, ThePoolCleaner

5. Back To Top    #5

Jandy valves take a coupling on the outside. If you cut the pipe flush with the valve, you can use a coupling one size larger than the pipe and then use that size or a reducer bushing.

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

You can very easily chip the coupling off the school 80 nipple and replace the coupling.. You can also glue a 2.5 inch coupling with a bushing to reduce down to 2 inch onto the Jandy valve..

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks for the tips! I have plenty of room to move the pump back for future service and to rebuild the discharge piping. I'll be at the plumbing supply tomorrow.