Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Chlorinating with cold water temps

1. Back To Top    #1

Chlorinating with cold water temps

This is the first winter with our newly built pool. I have the Hayward system in my sig and everything has been fine.

However, now that the temps in Arizona have cooled, my system is telling me the cell is turned off due to low temperature. The water temp is in the 40s and low 50s, depending on the time of day.

My question is, how does everyone else deal with chlorinating their pool in the winter when it's too cold for the salt cell? Do I need to add liquid chlorine or is the water too cold for algae to grow?

I tested my chlorine and I was still at about 4.5 ppm, but wanted to know how everyone else handles keeping their pool open during the winter with a SWCG. My pool doesn't get much sun during the day due to the house blocking the sun for most of the pool. So I don't think I am losing much due to UV exposure.

Thanks,
    Bryan
    Bryan
    My Pool Build
    IG 16,148 gal (pool+spa), Mediterranean Pebble Plus, Noce Travertine Coping and Deck, Hayward ProLogic 8 with AquaPod, Hayward EcoStar VS Pump, Hayward 60 sqft DE filter, Hayward T15 SWCG, Paramount Clear O3 Ozone, Hayward 400k BTU NG Heater

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Chlorinating with cold water temps

I would just supplement with bleach as required to stay in the recommended FC range. The FC consumption goes way down in the winter.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

+ 1 what Jason suggested to you.
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

4. Back To Top    #4

I'll make it unanimous: bleach. It won't take much to get the FC level up, and even less to keep it up.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Just to add........once a week checking should be plenty.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by bacevedo
    My question is, how does everyone else deal with chlorinating their pool in the winter when it's too cold for the salt cell? Do I need to add liquid chlorine or is the water too cold for algae to grow?
    I would agree that to be safe you probably should add chlorine but I did go one year for about 6 weeks without adding any chlorine while the water was below 50 degrees without any issues.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks everyone for the replies!

I'll add some liquid chlorine tomorrow.
    Bryan
    My Pool Build
    IG 16,148 gal (pool+spa), Mediterranean Pebble Plus, Noce Travertine Coping and Deck, Hayward ProLogic 8 with AquaPod, Hayward EcoStar VS Pump, Hayward 60 sqft DE filter, Hayward T15 SWCG, Paramount Clear O3 Ozone, Hayward 400k BTU NG Heater

8. Back To Top    #8

I see in the OP's siggy line that he also has an ozone device in the pool. Will that alter anything or cause more chlorine loss as it does in a spa?
    Otherwise, as everyone else suggests, I'd just top it off with bleach if I didn't want to use my SWG in the cold. I didn't even know cold would affect the SWG's production?
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

9. Back To Top    #9

Yes the ozone will more rapidly break the FC down.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

10. Back To Top    #10

Most pool ozonators are so woefully undersized that the loss of chlorine is not normally noticeable. However, with cooler water temps and most especially if there is much less sunlight on the pool (or if it is covered), then the chlorine loss from ozone might be more noticeable since one no longer has 2 ppm FC per day chlorine loss.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"