Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Intex untra frame frozen...oops!

1. Back To Top    #1

Intex untra frame frozen...oops!

Yes, I'm a newbie,...and I screwed up I think. I have a 12'x24' untra frame intex. I bought one of those winterize kits and a 12' long pillow to use with the original cover . I'm in north Missouri btw. I thought I did it right,... I filled it halfway, mixed in the packets in the kit with the pump for a few hours,...put the pillow in , covered. Ist problem,...the cover that intex gives you is sooooo cheap. A little wind ripped gromets on one side,...ruined it. Intex doesn't even have replacements in stock. Now...uncovered,... I have about 1 foot of ice on top. What do I do now? I don't leave it do I ? I can't break it, it's pretty thick. I wondered about using the pool antifreeze before, mixing it with the pump...but some places said it's for the pump and lines ONLY. I was smart enough to take the pump assembly and hoses inside. Any ideas?....THANKS BTW

2. Back To Top    #2
    Elverson Pa.

Intex untra frame frozen...oops!

Welcome to TFP !!
    Don't worry about the ice. Some pools freeze almost solid.
    No need for the pool antifreeze either.
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

3. Back To Top    #3
    SW PA

Re: Intex untra frame frozen...oops!

Leave it be. There's nothing you can do anyway.

My husband has concern over ours. This is his first pool. I told him it's fine. I don't mess with it until I'm ready to pull the cover off.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

4. Back To Top    #4
    Hamilton, NJ

You're fine! We left our intex up and it froze. No problem at all. I'd get a regular pool cover and throw it over top to keep stuff from getting in between now and spring but no worries on the freeze!
    24' Sharkline Matrix. Coral Reef Liner. Clearwater II Cartridge Filter. Saltron Retro Salt WaterGenerator. 4x20 Ecosaver Solar Panels, Rover Jr. robot vac. Fiberglass Steps and Lifesaver pool fence/gate.

Previous pool: 9x18 intex with salt water generator and vinylworks 5x10 deck.

5. Back To Top    #5

western NY

Don't worry about it. Here is my block of

2 days after I took this picture it hit -15f. No problems. The big hump in the middle is a plastic 55 gal drum from the hardware store. Cost me $10.00 12 years ago. Best cover float I have ever used.
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump