Draining water to adjust CH?

brian987

LifeTime Supporter
Happy Holidays all…I've been absent a while…staying busy…but that just means that I have been able to easily "search and find" answers to my recent questions.

Today I have a quick question...I just started taking care of a pool for a neighbor and, of course, the supposed professionals had it all a mess. I need to drain about 60% of the water to bring the CH in check (some scaling has been occurring, also water is remaining somewhat unclear). What I am wondering is while I am pumping water from the pool, can I go ahead and have water refilling it simultaneously? Or do I need to drain, then refill to insure there is the right amount of fresh water being added?

Again, thanks for all your help and education. It always amazes me that after I have been away from the site for any period of time…even just a month...how much new and/or updated info I encounter upon my return! That's one of the reasons I have to take a break from the site because the info quickly becomes almost addictive…and then of course, upon finding the answer to one question, more often than not, it leads to further questions! I Love that part! :party:

What I am wondering is while I am pumping water from the pool, can I go ahead and have water refilling it simultaneously?
You can pretty much do that. The pool water should be colder than your refill water so siphon or drain from the bottom of the deep end of the pool and put your refill hose at or near the surface in the shallow end. You'll use a bit more water but it's an easy way to keep your pool level constant while replacing water.

You can simplify it if they have a spa. When I exchange water to lower CH, I empty the spa into the pool and start refilling the spa while the pool is watering the lawns.

Unclear water is probably not caused by the Calcium. I've hit 1100 CH before and you could still toss a coin into the deep end and call heads or tails.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.