Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How much chlorine/

1. Back To Top    #1

How much chlorine/

I have a 16000 gal pool in Fla. During the summer I lose 1/2 a gallon of chlorine each day,,,,,the water temp is now 74 degrees. In a few weeks we are planning on being gone visiting for a week....I'm wondering how much chlorine I should dump in the pool before we leave to prevent any algae from appearing in the pool while we are gone. Also should I dig out those 3" Tabs that I don't use in the pool anymore and drop a couple of them in the floater

My CYA is about 35 the best I can measure it with the Taylor 2006 kit and I use the BBB method to take care of my pool. Any guidance is greatly appreciated.....thanks, John
    16100 gallon rectangle pool built in 1984 including a 5' X 5'x 3' Spa, Diamond Brite in year 2000, Non-SWG Pool

2. Back To Top    #2
    East Texas

Re: How much chlorine/

I'd take that rascal to shock (SLAM) level per your CYA, drop those trichlor tabs in a floater and make sure it is being circulated on a timer if you have no one to stop by and dose it up for ya'.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3
    SW Louisiana

I would load up the floater with trichlor pucks while you are gone, your CYA is low enough to get away with it, I would also boost the FC up to near shock level before leaving.

Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

+1 what the two experts ahead of me have already suggested.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

A very very big thank you to each of you. I'll do exactly as suggested.....Happy HJohnolidays to each of you. John
    16100 gallon rectangle pool built in 1984 including a 5' X 5'x 3' Spa, Diamond Brite in year 2000, Non-SWG Pool