Newbie First Self Test High CYA

Dec 17, 2013
DFW Area
Hello. First time pool owner. We just moved into a fixer upper house and a neglected pool. It seems they have been using the pucks forever and we have terrible calcium scale on the tiles that I think will need to be pumiced off.

Here are the first results using the Taylor k-2006:
FC 1.2
CC 0
PH 7.8
TA 140
CH 440+
CYA 100+

Water temp is 53F. Air is 45F.

Water is crystal clear, no signs of algae.

Does this seem right? Do I need to retest?

Do I need to slam? Not sure what to do next.

I know I need to drain and refill some water. Do I need to do that now or can it wait until Spring?

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

With the cold water temp, the algae is much less likely to really take hold.

You are right that you will need to replace a significant amount of water to get the CYA back down in range and then need to switch to bleach. Whether you do that now or in the spring is up to you. The water replacement should help to lower the CH some too.

If you decide to wait, I would raise the FC up to about 10ppm and maintain it in the 8-10ppm range for the winter to ensure nothing starts growing too rapidly.

BTW, use a 10ml water sample for the FAS-DPD chlorine test to save reagent and then each drop is 0.5ppm.

Welcome to the forum Txpg! :wave: You've gotten good advice and you're on the right track. It would be a great idea to start lowering your Cya through water changes this winter. 100+ Cya come summer will become a problem and a burden if you find yourself needing to SLAM. Enjoy the forums!

I too would start the water replacement soon, if nothing else drain down a few inches before each major winter rain storm. Spring time and an algae bloom will sneak up on you before you know it.

Ike

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.