lots of DE in the pool

Aug 19, 2013
Mansfield, Texas
So after the cold weather I noticed there is a large amount of DE in my pool. Also, my pool vac filter at the wall fitting gets clogged with DE after about 30 minutes of running. Any ideas? I figure it is a hole in my DE filter or a valve has failed to open or close all the way. Pictures of pumping station on the way.

Did this start suddenly? What was done to the equipment just prior to this starting?

Most common way for DE to end up in pool is if the grids are damaged or they were not seated properly after breaking it down for cleaning. Another possibility is that the gasket in the backwash valve are bad and allowing the DE back to the pool.

The only thing I did just before was open and close the two black valves in the picture using the maintenance switch located on each pump. I noticed one of them is straight in line with the pump and one was a little turned and not straight. I was trying to trouble shoot my vacuum not working. That ended up being the filter clogged.

Turning those valves would have no affect on DE going into the pool. But, I am assuming that you then cleaned the filter to fix the vac and now you see the DE?

Did you just backwash and then recharge with DE? Are you sure the valve was set to filter when you added the DE? Did the DE enter the pool right after you were adding it?

If you did not open up the filter for a full cleaning, (when was the last time this was done as it should be done yearly), then it would not make sense that something suddenly went wrong within the filter. So, I am guessing either the valve was in the wrong place when DE was added or the seal in the backwash valve is leaking.

BTW, we recommend backwashing when the pressure rises 20-25% over the clean pressure. This will ensure that you maintain adequate flow and thus would not have a problem with the vac.

So, if it looks like the other DE in your filter and it stays on the bottom and it feels like the other DE in your filter, that pretty much confirms it. (it is very common for people to mistake dead algae for DE but yours seems like DE based on your posts.)

I think it's time to clean the DE filter completely and inspect the grids as you do....looking for rips, tears, etc. that allow the DE to pass to the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.