Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: lots of DE in the pool

1. Back To Top    #1

lots of DE in the pool

So after the cold weather I noticed there is a large amount of DE in my pool. Also, my pool vac filter at the wall fitting gets clogged with DE after about 30 minutes of running. Any ideas? I figure it is a hole in my DE filter or a valve has failed to open or close all the way. Pictures of pumping station on the way.
    15,000 gallon plaster pool with spa and water fall, 250 Pentair MiniMax Plus Heater
    Nautilus FNS FIberglass D.E. Filter 48 Sq ft, Leslie's DPD Complete Chlorine Kit + TFTestkits Chlorine & CCs Kit.
    Oak trees overhanging most of pool

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: lots of DE in the pool

Did this start suddenly? What was done to the equipment just prior to this starting?

Most common way for DE to end up in pool is if the grids are damaged or they were not seated properly after breaking it down for cleaning. Another possibility is that the gasket in the backwash valve are bad and allowing the DE back to the pool.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

15,000 gallon plaster pool with spa and water fall, 250 Pentair MiniMax Plus Heater
    Nautilus FNS FIberglass D.E. Filter 48 Sq ft, Leslie's DPD Complete Chlorine Kit + TFTestkits Chlorine & CCs Kit.

4. Back To Top    #4

The only thing I did just before was open and close the two black valves in the picture using the maintenance switch located on each pump. I noticed one of them is straight in line with the pump and one was a little turned and not straight. I was trying to trouble shoot my vacuum not working. That ended up being the filter clogged.

5. Back To Top    #5

Turning those valves would have no affect on DE going into the pool. But, I am assuming that you then cleaned the filter to fix the vac and now you see the DE?

Did you just backwash and then recharge with DE? Are you sure the valve was set to filter when you added the DE? Did the DE enter the pool right after you were adding it?

If you did not open up the filter for a full cleaning, (when was the last time this was done as it should be done yearly), then it would not make sense that something suddenly went wrong within the filter. So, I am guessing either the valve was in the wrong place when DE was added or the seal in the backwash valve is leaking.

BTW, we recommend backwashing when the pressure rises 20-25% over the clean pressure. This will ensure that you maintain adequate flow and thus would not have a problem with the vac.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

No I didn't clean the DE filter. I only cleaned the filter at the wall where the vacuum attaches to the wall. That small filter is the one that clogs in about 30 minutes with DE.

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

The first step is to be absolutely sure, without any doubt, that it is DE on your pool floor. Have you confirmed that?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

Well I'm not sure how to confirm that other than look at it. It looks almost like sand on the bottom and it looks like a gritty paste in the vacuum filter.

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

So, if it looks like the other DE in your filter and it stays on the bottom and it feels like the other DE in your filter, that pretty much confirms it. (it is very common for people to mistake dead algae for DE but yours seems like DE based on your posts.)

I think it's time to clean the DE filter completely and inspect the grids as you do....looking for rips, tears, etc. that allow the DE to pass to the pool.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School