New member with plumbing questions

RRR

Dec 20, 2013
Good Morning Member and visitors, I just joined so not all my ducks are in a row just yet. i.e., (signature) I am replacing my "Pentair Variable Flow" 2" plumbing with a "Pentair Sta-Rite, IntelliflowXF or intelliproXF" sorry not sure which. it comes with an option for 3" pipes and claims it will handle an endless pool system.

My questions are as follow:

1. When upsizing pipes from 2" to 3" the amount of water they can handle will increase significantly, can I pull the extra water form an un-used water feature, such as a water fall? (I was considering taping the pipe before the pump, but after reading about valves perhaps after the water feature pump would be better, this would draw the water through the pump instead of installing a valve that could cut the water off to the pump).

2. can I stand the valve up like a "T" or should it be lade horizontally, flat to the ground? installing it vertically does not seam like it would hurt and would give me more options.

3. do I use purple primer, or is all purpose (CPVC PVC) oaky? I intend to use the red can Ottly all purpose glue (CPVC PVC ABS)

4. I am intending to install the pump with a 3" future endless pool, just a 3" pipe that I would like to ether put through the wall or "j" hook it over the edge. I will plumb 2X2" lines into one three inch line and then slit of one 2" to the 60 Pentair DE filter. This way I can run the pool off the existing 2" piping and then add an additional 2" of water that would normally go to the to the water feature, bypass the filter and channel all the water into the 3" pipe directly into the pool.

Thank you, I hope this does not sound like too much of a brain fart. If this sounds like a problem please let me know.

Best Regards Merry Christmas
RRR

60 DE Pentair filter, IG, Plaster, 2 skimmers, 17,000 gl, Salt, attached spa, Heater, (installing intelliproXF) (replacing Intellaflow VF) one water feature on standard 1 1/2 pentair pump, all 2" plumbing,

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

The Intellipro are VERY large/high flow pumps, are you sure you need something that big?

1. I do not understand what you are asking. With this large pump, I am surprised you even need a separate pump for the water feature.

2. Valves can be in any orientation. Generally best for the common pipe to be the middle on for 3-way valves and for 2-way valves the handle should point to the inlet pipe when closed.

3. Always use purple primer. And if you are using the solvent on the valves, make sure it is for CPVC and PVC, as it looks like you are doing.

4. I did not see a question here, although I am still struggling to understand what you are trying to do. Adding some diagrams may help.

Okay, I made one (at least) errors, it is an intelaflowXF. I hope I can still push the kind of water I want to. my goal is to push enough water in the pool to exercise and possibly train for swimming.

Regards
RRR

Attachments

• draw after existing pump.pdf
    195.1 KB · Views: 4
  • Draw from behind existing pump.pdf
    204.6 KB · Views: 5
  • One Pump.pdf
    203.1 KB · Views: 6
Actually I made a mistake too ... it is the XF pumps that are even bigger than even the VS / VF variants. The FLO vs PRO I think are just different colors.

I am not sure the 2nd two drawings are a good idea. you either want one pump, or you want the water feature to be a separate system ... although the 2 pumps could share a suction line from the pool I think.

I would do some more homework before I tried to make that pump perform as an endless pool. What size pumps do the endless pools use? That will be a clue. They will likely not oversize the pump so you can assume if your pump matches the power of an endless pool pump, it will be adequate.

The piping can be handled different ways and is not the determining factor as to whether or not you can get enough flow out of that pump.

My guess is you'll find endless pools have quite a bit larger pumps and that will be the key to success.

Okay I will try to research endless pool pumps but I thought I read somewhere this pump would do it.

I like the idea of going with one pump too but it might be hard to adjust the valves to get every thing working.

Welcome to the forum triple R!

Actually, the "Weld On" company makes clear primer, good for CPVC and PVC. I was taught to use it a long time ago for installations of control equipment we use in water treatment. Since then, I've come to hate purple primer. If you are installing something indoors or just want it to look good without all the runs of purple runs showing, it's the way to go. The side benefit is that you don't get that purple all over you and everything else. Normally, you'll find this brand at most good sprinkler/irrigation supply houses.

A gimmick, but they also label it as "Pool Primer" and do the same with their glues. Clear primer comes in a sliver label.

http://www.weldon.com/primercleaner/poolprimer

uncfan1573 said:
Lowes has it also. It's in a yellow can. That's all I use is the clear primer

I'm not trying to just pick nits here, but the yellow Oatey brand is only a cleaner, and a primer should still be used on PVC/CPVC.

If you are using ABS material, you should only use cleaner, and never primer.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.