Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: pool leaks until reach the bottom line of skimmer

1. Back To Top    #1

pool leaks until reach the bottom line of skimmer

Hi, everyone,

I notice the leak since this summer. It seems to get more severely recently. Hope I can get some advice here and fix the problem.

I close the pump, leave every ins and outs as usual, did not add the water since 12/9. In the first three days (till 12/12), the water leaks from the middle level of the skimmer to the bottom level (almost 3inches). Then the water level stays at the bottom level of skimmer until now 12/20. No rain and not a lot of sun during this testing time.

I am wondering where the leaks would be? Is there anyway to narrow down the problem and fit it by ourselves? Thanks for any advice!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    14000 gallons, plaster, with spa, cartridge filter, high/low speed, Build in June/July 2009, 1 tablet adds 2.4 CYA
    CYA=30, TA=60, CH=320

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: pool leaks until reach the bottom line of skimmer

Most likely it's in the pipe between the skimmer and the pump. A good verification is to plug the skimmer and see if the leak still happens. If it doesn't leak with the skimmer plugged, it's probably a leak in the skimmer itself.

The first elbow below ground is a common failure point. If you can dig up the plumbing at the equipment end, it would be worth digging down and having a look. If the problem isn't there, it's probably going to be a little more involved.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

I forgot to mention that there is still water in the skimmer basket. The water is actually over the basket upper edge. Does that exclude the leak in pipe between skimmer and pump?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    14000 gallons, plaster, with spa, cartridge filter, high/low speed, Build in June/July 2009, 1 tablet adds 2.4 CYA
    CYA=30, TA=60, CH=320

4. Back To Top    #4

That likely does mean it is not in the skimmer plumbing ... but could be around the skimmer mouth opening.

Watch out for your friend there on the weir
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

ha~~~ just saw that little guy.

OK. Probably I will need to ask a pool tech to check that area. Thanks!!!
    CYA=30, TA=60, CH=320

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

check where the tile meets the skimmer, sometimes it never seals so some epoxy will be needed