Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Can't get chlorine levels above zero

1. Back To Top    #1

Katy texas

Can't get chlorine levels above zero

I have a three week old pool.Last week my chlorine levels went to zero because of not enough pucks in chlorinator. A week later and plenty of pucks I can't get my numbers beyond zero.i do know I have chlorine as I can smell it. My PB said to crush pucks and put in skimmer it didnt work. PB says because of pebble tech can't shock for 3 weeks. Any ideas all other levels are good.
    22k,chlorine,cart,finished dec2013,pebble

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: Can't get chlorine levels above zero

Welcome to TFP!!!

What test kit are you using? Is it one of these: Recommended Test Kits

Generally the smell of chlorine is actually due the combined chlorine (CC) which is the byproduct of the free chlorine (FC) breaking something down. The recommended FAS-DPD test allows you to test for both.

Also you need to realize that using tablets exclusively is not a long term solution as the stabilizer level will quickly become too high and your FC level will not be higher enough to compensate.

You should be using liquid chlorine to try to raise the FC level as the tablets are just too slow.

Start by getting one of the test kits and reading Pool School to start to understand the chemistry. Specifically:
    ABCs of Water Chemistry
    Recommended Pool Chemicals
    How to Chlorinate Your Pool
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Twin Cities, MN

Welcome to tfp, rmyoung

jbliz gave you great advice above!

Quote Originally Posted by rmyoung
    PB says because of pebble tech can't shock for 3 weeks.
    Did your PB mean 3 weeks from now (for a total of 6 weeks since the plaster was applied)? If so, that is a longer then the typical time to wait of 1 month. See this pool school article: make sure you follow your PB's start-up procedure.

By the way here at tfp, we don't use the term "shock" anymore, we now use the term "SLAM" process, which is process and not a one time raising of the chlorine level. See: SLAM process
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

4. Back To Top    #4
    SW Louisiana

To follow up on what Linen said, the we reason we don't use the term shock here anymore is to distinguish between the "shock process" or SLAM (Shock Level and Maintain) and various chlorine "shock products" on the market. The simple truth is when it comes to the product side, any chlorine chemical can be sold as "shock" although usually those sold as shock are in a form that dissolves faster (powder vs stick). It also lets the pool stores sell 2 pails of stuff instead of 1. Go look at the fine print label of pail of unstabilized pool chlorine and one of pool shock, chances are both are going to be Cal-Hypo, which is the most common dry chlorine product due to pricing the last couple of years. Shock could also be dichlor, lithium hypo, liquid sodium hypo, or even granular trichlor, although the last is uncommon.

Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~