Replacing Pool Pump -- Can't Find Correct Union

JZeld

Oct 13, 2012
I'm finally ending my love-hate relationship (almost entirely hate) with a Pentair Pinnacle 3/4 HP for my Endless Pool. After replacing the motor and getting the seals right (thanks to everyone's help earlier), I noticed a slight leak coming from the housing. Close inspection revealed a hairline crack. I tried using plumbers epoxy as a temporary fix, but not surprisingly it wasn't much of a fix. I decided to just get an entirely new unit, a Pentair Stainless Steel SuperFlo.

THE ISSUE: I'm trying to replicate the 1.5" PVC fittings from the PVC valve to the pump. There is the valve, then a PVC union slip and then an elbow. The problem is that I cannot find the exact union (did a search and made numerous inquiries to pool supply houses for the markings on the union, to no avail). I found a similar union (Lasco) at Home Depot, but when I tried to connect the one half of the existing union with the half of the new union, I noticed the threads would not align. Now I'm stuck as to how best/easiest to resolve this if I can't find the exact match:

(1) Is there enough room right before the union to cut and solely add just the new union?
(2) Is there a way I can remove the half of the union closest to the pump (glued in) and glue to my new pieces?

Anything else I could do? I have attached a picture to help better illustrate. Note the PVC union says: 240-121 DN40 1-1/2"

JZeld said:
(1) Is there enough room right before the union to cut and solely add just the new union?

No, I do not think there is enough pipe there for another union.

JZeld said:
(2) Is there a way I can remove the half of the union closest to the pump (glued in) and glue to my new pieces?

I looked for a method of removing previously glued PVC fitting and never found one.

I now build everything with removable joints, so when I have to change a fitting, I only lose the section to the next removable joint.

Can you post a over all view of the plumbing? Then maybe people can offer some ideas...

I thought the prior owner did a pretty good job with the build, including the removable union, it is just that there does not appear to be a way to replicate the other part of the union.

The plumbing is a pretty short run since this is in a basement directly under the pool, but this pic might give you a little more context. There are three 3/4 HP pumps in total, 1 runs to the filter and heater and the other two are for spa jets (ok, maybe that was a bit of overkill by the prior owner for an Endless Pool).

Thanks again for any help.

I have that same union in a 2". That doesn't help you but it makes me think I got it at Home Depot probably 6 years ago or so.

Somehow, somewhere, I'll bet that union is available.....it's nothing unusual.

Before I tried a harder fix, I would keep trying unions to see if you can find one that will fit. That'll make an easy job of it if you can locate something compatible.

jerryt said:
Can you cut at the arrow and replace everything back to the pump?

I'll need to get a better picture of the plumbing. You can just see the beginning of the water valve in picture 2 of my OP. So there is just a matter of inches from the valve to the union to the pump.

I've contacted about a half dozen PVC part suppliers on the union and haven't found anyone who can match it. I thought it was going to be as easy as Googling the part number, but nothing is ever that easy. I'm having trouble even finding Dura PVC parts.

Thanks. Will try Ace. I'm going to try and demonstrate some intelligence this time and bring the one end of the union I have. Ordering a sampling online would get expensive fast.

If I can't find anything at Ace, I'll post a better picture of the plumbing in the hope that somebody has an idea that does involve cutting before the valve.

I've tried a number of different hardware stores, which all had slip unions by different manufacturers, but none of them are a fit. Any other ideas? I've taken a picture of the plumbing in the hope that may help. The pipe run that is at issue has the bend and the half slip union. I measured the amount of pipe immediately before the slip union and it is 3/4". Is that enough to cut and attach a new slip union? Any other ideas?

Thanks for any input.

Bumping and hoping someone can help me with my issue. At this point I'm not able to find a Dura slip union, or comparable. I know one person said no already, but before I drain the pool, I want to confirm if 3/4" inch of straight pipe is too little to add a new slip union (picture #1 above).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for the input. I've tried contacting the owner, but he claimed to not remember who did the install. I've contacted Dura Plastics in the hope that they might be able to help me. I'll likely just drain the pool and re-plumb from before the valve if I can't get a correct union. Might as well do it right.

That is a strange placement for the valve in the first place. I'd get a new valve and place it on the longer straight run and then replace the union. I hate to see installs where they tried to get the runs as tight as possible and leave no room for the inevitable repair down the road. Just my 2 cents. Good luck with the repair!

Jerry is correct. I use inside pipe extenders regularly. You can also get "fitting extenders." that glue over the outside of a PVC fitting. I prefer these because they don't add restriction by reducing the inside diameter of the pipe.

jerryt said:
FLEXPVC makes repair fittings.

You could use a "Sch 40 PX15 1.5 INSIDE Pipe Extenders".
http://flexpvc.com/cart/agora.cgi?produ ... -Extenders

Cut just before "slip union", add "Inside pipe extender", and rebuild with like fittings.

The down sides is that the inside diameter of the pipe is reduced and these fittings are not NSF approved.

poolkid said:
I use inside pipe extenders regularly. You can also get "fitting extenders." that glue over the outside of a PVC fitting. I prefer these because they don't add restriction by reducing the inside diameter of the pipe.

Yes, I have used the outside extenders also, but in this case JZeld can't because the valve has a hex shape where the 1 1/2" slip joint is.

My understanding is that JZeld has to drain the pool to change the ball valve So the inside extender maybe an option...

True. He'll have to drain it to do anything upstream of the ball valve. If that's a major pain, the inside version might be the best solution.

jerryt said:
poolkid said:
I use inside pipe extenders regularly. You can also get "fitting extenders." that glue over the outside of a PVC fitting. I prefer these because they don't add restriction by reducing the inside diameter of the pipe.

Yes, I have used the outside extenders also, but in this case JZeld can't because the valve has a hex shape where the 1 1/2" slip joint is.

My understanding is that JZeld has to drain the pool to change the ball valve So the inside extender maybe an option...

JZeld said:
JerryT -- Have you ever had a failure from using the fitting extenders? This is all for a small Endless Pool so I'm not sure the restricted water flow is that much of an issue.

I have not use many of these. They have a link which explains the lack of NSF certification "as not willing to spend 5K for certification", that the part is not defective. I have found them to be simply a piece of PVC in the size I needed. If you don't have to have a code inspection I would go for it.

3/4 HP pump will not have any issue with this small restriction.

Does he really have to drain? Surely he could simply put expanding plugs in all the returns, drains, etc in the pool (or perhaps only in those upstream of this pump....)

I have used the Flexpvc internal fittings and agree one would probably offer a solution.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.