How to upgrade the Intellichem Controller Firmware for $20

Please help. Bought the programmer recommended here and the same issue I had last year trying to to program I get this error:

** PENTAIR **
** INTELLICHEM CHEMICAL CONTROLLER FIRMWARE UPDATE v1.060 **
**IMPORTANT NOTES! **
** 1. Please install the USB programmer driver before updating **
** the IntelliChem chemical controller firmware **
** 2. WinXP users be sure you are running at least service pack 3 **
** or the programmer will not function properly **
Press any key to continue . . .
avrdude: ser_open(): can't open device "\\.\USBSER000": The system cannot find the file specified.

I have tried different drivers and the same issue. I am connected properly to the board and a yellow blinking led as opposed to the red so I assume it is communicating properly. Any advise thank you.

Please help. Bought the programmer recommended here and the same issue I had last year trying to to program I get this error:

** PENTAIR **
**IMPORTANT NOTES! **
avrdude: ser_open(): can't open device "\\.\USBSER000": The system cannot find the file specified.

I have tried different drivers and the same issue. I am connected properly to the board and a yellow blinking led as opposed to the red so I assume it is communicating properly. Any advise thank you.

Open the device manager and verify that the programmer is loading the driver and appearing properly in the Device Manager list.

Most likely you need to manually install the pgm03a.inf driver,

see page 6 of PDF manual.

"Press any key to continue . . .

Press any key to continue . . ."

No contact with Pololu Programer, check USB connection.

jerryt, thanks for responding so quickly. I did follow those instructions and still get the same error. Under device manager I see Pololu USB AVR Programmer with a blue icon. I do not get it maybe the programmer is defective? I tried every USB port on the PC to no avail.

I get a solid green LED, and a flashing red LED. on the programmer itself
and
In the device manager I get both of the following under, Ports(COM & LPT);
Pololu USB AVR Programmer Programming Port (COM3)
Pololu USB AVR Programmer TTL Serial Port (COM4)

Avrdude lists the following with only the programmer connected by usb, not connection to device.

** PENTAIR **
**IMPORTANT NOTES! **

avrdude: stk500v2_command(): command failed
avrdude: stk500v2_command(): unknown status 0xc9
avrdude: stk500v2_program_enable(): cannot get connection status
avrdude: initialization failed, rc=-1
Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
this check.

avrdude done. Thank you.

Flashing red LED went solid after launching Avrdude program.

Try a different computer, windows 7...

I get a solid green LED, and a flashing red LED. on the programmer itself
and
In the device manager I get both of the following under, Ports(COM & LPT);
Pololu USB AVR Programmer Programming Port (COM3)
Pololu USB AVR Programmer TTL Serial Port (COM4)

Avrdude lists the following with only the programmer connected by usb, not connection to device.

** PENTAIR **
**IMPORTANT NOTES! **

avrdude: stk500v2_command(): command failed
avrdude: stk500v2_command(): unknown status 0xc9
avrdude: stk500v2_program_enable(): cannot get connection status
avrdude: initialization failed, rc=-1
Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
this check.

avrdude done. Thank you.

Flashing red LED went solid after launching Avrdude program.

Try a different computer, windows 7...

Jerryt SUCCESS!!!

I too had those exact devices in Device Manager but it still would come back with that error. Following the instructions in the link that was provided by the seller, I had to add the -P COM3 argument into the IntelliChem Programmer v1.060.bat file, so it would read, see below. My com ports are 3 & 4 so I tried both respectfully and -P Com3 did the trick. I am now up and running 1.6 firmware! Huge thanks Jerryt!

avrdude -p m128 -P \\.\USBSER000 -P COM3 -c avrisp2 -B 3 -e -U flash:w:%FL_HEX% -U efuse:w:0xFF:m -U hfuse:w:0xD7:m -U lfuse:w:0x1F:m -U lock:w:0x00:m

Thanks again for this post. I have easily been able to upgrade the Intellichem for a couple of years now. Still looking for a less expensive way to upgrade my EasyTouch. Looks like a minimum of $100 program or with $160 worth of software. If you know of any better options for it I would love to know about it. Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry, I think I misunderstood your post. I have been using the programmer on Windows 7. Windows 7 has automatically recognized the Polu unit without trouble.

Last edited:
Thanks again for this post. I have easily been able to upgrade the Intellichem for a couple of years now. Still looking for a less expensive way to upgrade my EasyTouch. Looks like a minimum of $100 program or with $160 worth of software. If you know of any better options for it I would love to know about it. Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry, I think I misunderstood your post. I have been using the programmer on Windows 7. Windows 7 has automatically recognized the Polu unit without trouble.

Here are your options for the Easytouch

"OK I tested three different programmers on Windows XP and Windows 7 with Prog12Z version 1.62 using P&E Drivers 11.7.0 dated 3/11/2015

Windows XP
Rev A Multilink USB programmer works, had trouble getting the drivers to load, had both LED lights lite, had to uninstall (Physically select discard driver in device manager) and reinstall the drivers twice. Then it shows in device manager under "Universal Serial Bus Controllers" as "P&E USB Device" Driver version 1.3.20.0 dated 7/29/2002. Jungo/Windriver 11.7.0.0 dated 10/26/2014 also loads, gives warning about 30 day software when Pro12Z connects. Programmer shows as USB HCS08/HCS12 in Prog12z, same as the program menu entry.

Windows XP
Rev B Multilink USB Programmer DOES NOT WORK, Loads in device manager as "USB Multilink 2.0" and Prog12Z v1.62 does not see it.

Windows XP
Cyclone Pro Rev C Programmer, works, Loads driver Cyclone/Traceink 11.7.0.0 dated 1/21/2015 under the header of Jungo in Device Manager. Prog12Z v1.62 connects with it as Cyconepro

Window 7
Neither of the Multilink USB programmers (rev A & B) worked with Prog12Z v1.62
With Prog12Z v5.25 rev B Multilink USB works fine. Rev A can not find proper driver.

Windows 7 (and windows 8)
Works with Prog12Z v5.25, provided you edit pentair's Batch file to call "Cyclonepro" instead of "USBMultilink" (See original post "Issues #2")
Cyclone Pro rev C Programmer, works manually with Prog12Z_CyclonePro 2.00.00
This is a link to Prog12Z_CyclonePro v5.13.02.00 (WORKS ONLY WITH Cyclone Pro Models) This is only good if you manually go thru the programming steps and have a Cyclone Pro model.
https://www.pemicro.com/downloads/do...ownload_id=291

From; How to perform firmware upgrade on Pentair* controllers - Page 2

And the software can be had for $17.00 with student ID;
"3) Software
You need the firmware from Pentair;
Pentair Water Pool and Spa ... /index.htm
and [the software for the programmer "prog12z_install"
Google "University of Adelaide prog12z_install.exe"
Note this is very early software (V1.62) which appears to only work with Window XP and either the Parallel port BDM-Multilink, Rev B, or the P&E Micro Multilink USB Programmer rev A programers (See post 63 and 38)]

The software for the revision B & C programmer is available from P&E Micro website for $169.00 (or $17.00 see next lline)
SPECIAL THANKS to Geobrick for discovering; That if you have a "Current Student ID" you can get this software for 90% off, or $17.00, this provides 3 licenses.
Go to PE Microcomputer Systems: Over 30 years as an Industry leader in Embedded Systems Development Tools, debug probes, and production programmers click on "University Programs"."

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I was able to upgrade my intellichem from 1.030 to 1.060 using the "-P COM3" option listed above in post #27.

This was on a Mac, running Windows 10, under Vmware Fusion 8.1.1. So, if you were wondering, yes it can work in windows 10!

And, thank you all for the tips and work throughout this thread!

I cant seem to find the pentair pdf on how to lowd the firmware onto the polulu device anywhere anymore. Can someone attach it here? Thanks!

Look in this directory, C:\Pentair\IntelliChem

Attached v1.1
Thanks! Im either missing a step or they changed the software since this was created. The link is broken to the intellichem update in the original post. The new link is :

However, installing this software does not create the folders or the pdf.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.