Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to upgrade the Intellichem Controller Firmware for $20

1. Back To Top    #1

How to upgrade the Intellichem Controller Firmware for $20

The current available firmware for the Intellichem is

Version 1.060 (09/08/14):
    1) Fixed bug with pH time-based Dose Limits and Mix times.
    2) Added to Auto Setup options for "CO2/R2 RELAY1", "RELAY2 EX_IC" and "CO2/R2 EX_IC"
    3) Eliminated internal pump high and low speed options from the menus and pump speed/volume calculations. Kept only medium speed 65 GPD.
    4) Set External pump default to 50 GPD
    5) Changed boot-up splash screen to Pentair Aquatic Systems
    6) Improved probe test algorithm
    7) Added spa mode indicator to advanced dosage display

Version 1.040 (11/7/12)
    1) ORP lower set point value is now 400 instead of 650
    2) Changed all displayed “TDS” to “SLT”
    3) Now shows Jandy AquaPure SCG salt levels
    4) If the chemical supply container size/units are changed, tank level is automatically modified
    5) Auto-calibration tolerance has been slightly increased to reduce the amount of “Auto Calibration” errors
    6) Error "ORP ICHLOR COM ER" changed to "ORP SCG COM ERR"
    7) Removed the Probe Check feature
    8) Changed the saturation index default alarm to +/- 0.50
    9) Reduces pH and ORP dosages when automation switches to spa mode
    10) ORP low alarm limit is now settable to 300
    11) Added to wizard "L_PUMP EX_IC " for use with Commercial IntelliChlor systems
    12) Added to wizard "L_PUMP RELAY1" for customers who switch from salt to liquid configurations
    13) Lowered pH setpoint lower limit to 7.0

Pentair sells a Kit P/N 521498 to perform this upgrade.

These are the steps I used to upgrade my Intellichem fron v1.030 to v1.040;

1) Download the "Intellichem Update" software from Pentair at
    http://www.pentairpool.com/pool-owner/r ... /index.htm

2) Purchase the "Pololu USB AVR Programmer" from
    http://www.robotshop.com/en/pololu-usb- ... ammer.html
    for $11.00 plus $9.00 shipping = $20.00

3) Follow the directions in the PDF file included in the "Intellichem Update".
    (After you install the software look in the following path for the instructions)
    C:\Pentair\Intellichem\Intellichem Firmware Upgrade Instructions v1.1.pdf
    or
    Download another version of the upgrade instructions from;
    http://www.pentairpool.com/pool-owner/m ... on.php?s=5
    Both versions are good to look at, as they have different pictures.

It took 35 seconds, the only issue is that you have to load the pgm03a.inf driver manually. The driver loading instructions are on the last page of PDF instructions.
    Here is a link to drivers which should load automatically;
    http://www.pololu.com/file/0J486/pololu ... 121114.exe

Warnings
    1) 6 pin ISP header cable will fit two ways, ONLY ONE WAY IS CORRECT, note pin one, verify cables...
    2) In general, when upgrading firmware, you should be on a Uninterrupted Power Supply, bad things happen if power goes out during programming.
    Easytouch, Intelliflo, Intellichem, Acid tank with pump, Intellichlor and Autelis network interface.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How to upgrade the Intellichem Controller Firmware for $

Thanks for the info Jerry.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by jerryt
    The current available firmware for the Intellichem is Version 1.040 (11/7/12)

It took 35 seconds, the only issue is that you have to load the pgm03a.inf driver manually. The driver loading instructions are on the last page of PDF instructions.
    Warnings
    1) 6 pin ISP header cable will fit two ways, ONLY ONE WAY IS CORRECT, note pin one, verify cables...
    Great post Jerry!

Here is where I got mine from and some info about loading the drivers which should stay loaded after the initial time manually but if you choose to here's a link to the installer for the drivers so that they load automatically whenever you plug the programmer in which makes it easier if you plan on using it again for future updates. Keep in mind though the package also includes a configuration utility and SLO-scope application which you may never use.

REMINDER:This executable installs the Pololu USB AVR Programmer drivers, configuration utility, and SLO-scope application for Windows. It is located second one down under File downloads here> USB AVR Programmer Windows Drivers and Software release 121114 (11MB exe)

Just thought I would point that out to everyone in regard to the ISP cable warning, the link I provided is directly to Pololu Robotics and Electronics website and you can see in the pictures their ISP cable can only be installed one way shown by the groove at the board connection and the hump on the cables end. Perhaps some distributors buy parts in bulk and provide different cables from different sources to cut costs.

As a suggestion I would connect the cable correctly and then use electrical tape and wrap it around the cable and programmer once or twice and leave it connected if you have a cable that can be inserted incorrectly as Jerry stated.

Happy Happy Happy!

Edit: Reminder/Suggestion
    Swimming Pool & Spa Maintenance, Service and Installation Technician
    "If It Ain't Broke, Keep Fixing It Until It Is!"

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Brushpup
    Thanks for the info Jerry.
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkPristine
    Great post Jerry!
    You are welcome, my pleasure...
    Easytouch, Intelliflo, Intellichem, Acid tank with pump, Intellichlor and Autelis network interface.

5. Back To Top    #5

Re: How to upgrade the Intellichem Controller Firmware for $20

Great post-- I was able to easily and cheaply upgrade my firmware. Thank you. Can you use the same programmer to upgrade firmware in the Easytouch? any advice here ? Thanks.
    " A little knowledge is a dangerous thing"
    19,000 gallon sylvan pool, Easytouch 2 4p automation, Screenlogic interface, Intelliflo VF 3050 pump, Intellichem with Intellichlor 40 chlorinator/Muriatic acid, Raypac millivolt natural gas heater.Polaris pool cleaner with booster pump.Coverstar automatic cover hydraulic mechanism with PCS cover. Wet edge Luna quartz finish 2016. Northeast climate.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by dradam View Post
    Great post-- I was able to easily and cheaply upgrade my firmware. Thank you. Can you use the same programmer to upgrade firmware in the Easytouch? any advice here ? Thanks.
    I'd like to know the answer to this to. Is it possible to upgrade the firmware on the EasyTouch or Intellitouch using the same AVR programmer?
    38K in ground pool with attached spa. Current equipment: Easytouch 8 (521150) with IC-60 SWCG with web control by Autelis, 1x Pentair IntelliFlo 011018 pump (for filter), 1x Pentair 2HP WhisperFlo pump (for waterfall), 2X Pentair IntelliBrite 5G 12V lights, Pentair MiniMax400 NG Heater, Pentair SMBW2060 DE filter. Zodiac Barracuda MX8 cleaner on dedicated cleaner line. Lighting/home automation controlled by Insteon/ISY-99i.

7. Back To Top    #7

Same question here! I just set up my IntelliChem that I bought in Aug 2013... and it has the 1.030 firmware on it... strange since it looks like 1.040 came out in 12/2012. I am going to get the above programmer to program my Intellichem... but I also want to upgrade my IntelliTouch from 1.160 to 1.170 firmware... will the programmer above do that also?
    32K gal, gunite, French Gray DB, IntelliFlo VF, IntelliFlo, WhisperFlo, Quad DE 100 filter, IntelliTouch, IC-60 SWG, IntelliChem, Dolphin M5

8. Back To Top    #8

I just got the programmer, and the upgrade could not have been easier! Thank you, jerryt, for posting this!

I'd still like to know if anyone has successfully upgraded the IntelliTouch board firmware with this device?
    32K gal, gunite, French Gray DB, IntelliFlo VF, IntelliFlo, WhisperFlo, Quad DE 100 filter, IntelliTouch, IC-60 SWG, IntelliChem, Dolphin M5

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by jtech1 View Post
    I just got the programmer, and the upgrade could not have been easier! Thank you, jerryt, for posting this!

I'd still like to know if anyone has successfully upgraded the IntelliTouch board firmware with this device?
    Different programmer for the motherboards
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...r*-controllers

10. Back To Top    #10

Looks like the price on this website went up, so now it's $29 shipped. The same controller is available on Amazon for less:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

$21.95 shipped.

11. Back To Top    #11

Thanks, amazon is amazing.

12. Back To Top    #12

Does anyone know if this one will work as well? It says it's an AVR programmer also. Not sure what the requirements are.

SainSmart USB ISP Programmer for ATMEL AVR ATMega ATTiny 51 Board ($9.30)
    http://amzn.com/B0051SRZWC

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by Shoktronic View Post
    Does anyone know if this one will work as well? It says it's an AVR programmer also. Not sure what the requirements are.

SainSmart USB ISP Programmer for ATMEL AVR ATMega ATTiny 51 Board ($9.30)
    http://amzn.com/B0051SRZWC
    I don't think that will work. It has to respond to the pgm03a.inf drivers. Better to use what is known to work...

14. Back To Top    #14

2) Added to Auto Setup options for "CO2/R2 RELAY1", "RELAY2 EX_IC" and "CO2/R2 EX_IC"
    3) Eliminated internal pump high and low speed options from the menus and pump speed/volume calculations. Kept only medium speed 65 GPD.

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by jerryt View Post
    Hello jerryt,

Do you think this will work Usbasp Usbisp AVR Programmer TMEGA8 USB 10 Pin to Standard 6pin Adapter Board US | eBay

USBASP USBISP AVR Programmer Tmega8 USB+10 Pin to Standard 6Pin Adapter Board US

Thanks in advance.
    30k gallons , In ground Plaster Hydrazzo, Pentair Quad 100 DE/Cartridge Hybrid, 2 Pentair Intelliflo, Install 5/2014 , Taylor K-2006, SWG IC-40 Pentair Easytouch 8, Intellichem w / acid pump, Solar Fafco & Pentair Gas Heater, The Pool Cleaner suction side.

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by marmo View Post
    Hello jerryt,

Do you think this will work Usbasp Usbisp AVR Programmer TMEGA8 USB 10 Pin to Standard 6pin Adapter Board US | eBay

USBASP USBISP AVR Programmer Tmega8 USB+10 Pin to Standard 6Pin Adapter Board US

Thanks in advance.
    I don't think that will work. It has to respond to the pgm03a.inf drivers. Better to use what is known to work...

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by jerryt View Post
    Oh darn it I bought it already... It did successfully load the USBasp driver, have not tried the pgm03a driver I tried to update but I'm on Win 8.1 64 bit and I'm wondering if I need to load a 32 bit OS to really get it to work.

Update: Got it to load the PGM03a driver & Device Manager sees it as a Pololu Usb device! Will try and program tomorrow.

Thank you jerryt for all the great info in this post!!
    30k gallons , In ground Plaster Hydrazzo, Pentair Quad 100 DE/Cartridge Hybrid, 2 Pentair Intelliflo, Install 5/2014 , Taylor K-2006, SWG IC-40 Pentair Easytouch 8, Intellichem w / acid pump, Solar Fafco & Pentair Gas Heater, The Pool Cleaner suction side.

18. Back To Top    #18

The above program I purchased is a fail so I went ahead and just purchased the Pololu. I have a quick question. Intellichem PH on my system is all over the place. It will go from 10 to normal. I ran the self test on the probe, checked OK, bought ph calibration solution, checked OK and cleaned the tip as recommended soap and water with a soft toothbrush and finally checked all wire connections. Just wondering if the latest firmware address the strange fluctuations I am having. As always thanks in advance.

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by marmo View Post
    The above program I purchased is a fail so I went ahead and just purchased the Pololu. I have a quick question. Intellichem PH on my system is all over the place. It will go from 10 to normal. I ran the self test on the probe, checked OK, bought ph calibration solution, checked OK and cleaned the tip as recommended soap and water with a soft toothbrush and finally checked all wire connections. Just wondering if the latest firmware address the strange fluctuations I am having. As always thanks in advance.
    I have not had fluctuations. I would check the plumbing installation, to verify that the chemical injection point is far enough away from the sensor, and that you don't have any back flow carrying the chemical back to the sensor.

There should be good positive flow past the sensor... I believe the inlet is before the filter and outlet is after the SWG, so that the pressure differential is high between the two ports.

20. Back To Top    #20

Thanks jerryt, the chemical injection is correct. I'll have it into the flow sensor housing where its supposed to be. I'll give Pentair a call and see what they say.

Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast