Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New member and question on removing mineral cartridge

1. Back To Top    #1

New member and question on removing mineral cartridge

I just recently moved into a house with a pool, never owned a pool before and after getting some very poor info from local pool stores I managed to stumble onto this site. Finally a place which may give me some clear information.

I just ordered a Taylor K-2006 kit so I am sure I will have more questions once I have some accurate figures.

Amongst the equipment on the pool there is a mineral cartridge, which the previous owner replaced just before handing it over to us. From reading on this site I think it best to remove this. What is the best way? Is there a fitting I can use to cap the place left by the cartridge? The previous owner left the old cartidge behind so I may be able to modify that if necessary. Surprisingly the old one looks like it was there for a long time but there sounds to be pellets rattling around inside still.

Thank you!
    20k gal, IG gunnite plaster + spa, 2 HP Whisperflo pump, Pentair 520 sq ft catridge filter
    Pentair Min Max NT heater. Intelli-touch i5 controller, Ultrapure ozone (currently disabled), Rainbow 320 chlorinator
    Small water feature, Water slide. Poolvergnuegen 2WD suction cleaner.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New member and question on removing mineral cartridge

Welcome to TFP.

What is the brand of the mineralizer?
    On most units you just remove the cartridge and put the lid back on the unit.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

The cartridge is a Zodiac Nature 2. Looking at the old cartridge it screws down into a holder and the cartridge itself is the top.
    20k gal, IG gunnite plaster + spa, 2 HP Whisperflo pump, Pentair 520 sq ft catridge filter
    Pentair Min Max NT heater. Intelli-touch i5 controller, Ultrapure ozone (currently disabled), Rainbow 320 chlorinator

4. Back To Top    #4

I would just cut it out of the line and replace it with piping.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Or you could just take the old cartridge and cut it open to empty out the remaining minerals and then put it back in empty.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

I also have a Nature 2 system on my pool. I just take the canister out and put the lid back on. I have not have any negative effects and I get to save about $100 a season by not buying a new cartridge.

I may replace my heater at some point. If I do I plan on cutting it out.
    25,000 gallon in ground white plaster- 1 1/2 HP Pentair SuperFlo pump - 60 sqft FNS DE filter (with FiberClear), 1999 Sundance Optima 850 hot tub.
    Manassas Park, VA

7. Back To Top    #7

I think some versions do not have a cover, so the canister must be used to seal it back up. I just have no idea which models are which.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

Just to wrap things up I thought I should list the solution I used.

This is for the Nature 2 express mineral cartridge which is the type which screws into a holder and the domed cartridge top forms the top of the unit.

1) Stop the pump.
    2) Remove the cartridge (unscrews at the outer rim)
    3) Remove the "cup" shaped surround (on mine the surround just sat in place).
    4) Sitting in the hole in the main pipe is a flow diverter, remove this (mine just lifted out).
    5) A 1 1/2 inch PVC male cap fitting will screw into the place where the cartridge should go. Use some teflon tape on the threads to ensure there are no leaks. I bought the cap fitting from my local Home Depot store for $1.28 + tax.
    6) Restart the pump and check for leaks.

No more metals going into my pool! Interestingly I broke open the old cartridge. It looked like it had been in use for a long time, but 80% of the pellets were still there!

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by whatsthispoolthing
    No more metals going into my pool! Interestingly I broke open the old cartridge. It looked like it had been in use for a long time, but 80% of the pellets were still there!
    I had a Nature 2 cartridge explode in its first week of service. On mine, 80% of the pellets were just blue plastic filler. The remainder were the metal BB's you were supposed to pay $100 to replace.

When it exploded, while I was travelling for a week, the pellets all got shot out the returns, rolled down the slope and most got sucked into the floor drain and ended up in the pump basket. The resulting copper overdose stained my brand new plaster pool and required an acid start-up to (mostly) resolve. I cut the &*(%$ thing out.
    Current: 28,000G 18'x36' I/G AnthonySylvan Plaster; Waterway 60 sq.ft. DE Filter; 1.0hp x 1.65 SF Two-Speed (B2982) WhisperFlo; 2004-Present
    Previous: 40,000G 20'x40' I/G Koven unlined WWII salvage 5/8" marine steel; Lomart Stainless Sand Filter; 3/4hp Hayward SuperPump; 1946-2003 (managed by me from about 1964)
    Ancient Taylor K-2000, upgraded with Taylor CH, TA, and FAS-DPD, and TFT CYA tests.