IntelliChem sensor flow requirement problem

Nov 26, 2013
Philippines
Reading the IntelliChem documentation I see that that there is a need of a pressure difference between the input and output of the flow-cell, which is understandable of course. In the plumbing drawing it is advised to connect the input hose to the pipe between the pump and heater and the output hose after the heater. This allows for sufficient pressure difference apparently.

I do not have/need a heater or solar, but only will have an IntelliChlor in the main pipe. Now the question is whether the IntelliChlor will create sufficient pressure difference for the flow-cell of the IntelliChem to work well. What I know is that the IntelliChlor only has some plates parallel to the flow direction, so I expect not a lot of flow resistance from the IntelliChlor.

Or should I put a reducer (and inverse reducer) in the pipe to create some resistance, or even I am thinking of a bypass pipe with reduced size, say 1 or 3/4 inch compared to the main pipe of 2 inch, to connect the output hose of the IntelliChem. The input hose will be connected to the 2 inch pipe before the bypass. Or a combination of the two options.

Any comments or suggestions?

I would call Pentair and ask them.

I don't think you need to create a large differential. The Intellichlor is probably enough.

I would not add a restrictor.
If you want a flow meter at some point the "Visflow" is a big restrictor

I have the same setup with no heater and it worked ok for me. I have about 5 feet and a few turns beween my intakepoint and my cell.

I originally had my Acid injected into the mixing chamber and my return was just before my intellichlor. I required a minimum of 2200 RPM to open the intellichem flow switch . The problem was that I needed a minimum of 2400 RPM to stop the valve from closing while acid was being injected.

I am now in the process of directly injecting the acid into the pipe and moving my return after the cell which should buy me some more room on the low side.

So once you get it hooked up you will need to see how high you will need to run your pump to keep the flow switch open.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.