Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Replacing My Old STA-RITE Posi-Flo Pool Filter PTM 100

1. Back To Top    #1

Replacing My Old STA-RITE Posi-Flo Pool Filter PTM 100

My filter is starting to leak at the bottom. The filter tank was installed in 2003 and the plastic is looking sun damaged. I am looking at Hayward and Pentair. Is one better than the other? Any others I should consider?

Thanks
    6500 Gal. In Ground, Diamond Brite finish.
    Pentair 1hp pump
    Hayward C1200 filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Replacing My Old STA-RITE Posi-Flo Pool Filter PTM 100

Welcome to tfp, MrPat

All the major brands are fairly comparable.

What size pool do you have? What pump size (model number) do you have?
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

The pump is a 1.5 HP Single speed Sta-Rite model MPFA6F-147L. Is there any reason to replace this when I buy the new filter? Are similar single speed pumps still available?
    The pool is about 6500 gal.

Thanks, Pat
    Pentair 1hp pump
    Hayward C1200 filter

4. Back To Top    #4

No reason to replace pump if it's working fine. You'll save money adding a 2-speed motor and running on low.
    You can get a 1.5 HP 2 speed for about $350.
    https://www.americanbestpoolsupply.com/ ... 129177.htm

Here's a write up earlier: great-find-2ez-speed-75hp-square-flange-2-speed-300-t42909.html
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

If you decide to replace the pump, a 1 hp 2-speed will likely save you some electricity and be plenty large enough for your pool.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by MrPat
    The pump is a 1.5 HP Single speed Sta-Rite model MPFA6F-147L. Is there any reason to replace this when I buy the new filter? Are similar single speed pumps still available?
    The pool is about 6500 gal.

Thanks, Pat
    For your small pool another 100 sq. ft. cartridge will be fine (though going larger won't hurt).

As for the pump, yours appears to be a 1.5 hp full-rated pump, and if it is, it moves a lot of water, and it is quite large for your pool unless you have high volume water features such as waterfalls, massage jets, etc. Do you? No need to replace it if it is running fine, but if you do replace the motor with a 2-speed as bobo mentioned, you then can run on low most of the time and save some electricity...or you could follow duraleigh's idea and go with a smaller 2-speed pump which will save you even more running on low. A third approach is to replace the motor and impellor with a smaller "hp" size, and this would be like going with a smaller pump.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks guys. When the motor dies I'll get a 1 up motor
    Pentair 1hp pump
    Hayward C1200 filter

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by MrPat
    Thanks guys. When the motor dies I'll get a 1 up motor
    If you mean pump here, then a 1 hp (or even 3/4) would be a good choice again assuming you have no high volume water features (do you?). If you meant motor, as in just replacing the motor on the pump, then if you decrease the motor size, you will also have to decrease the impeller size.

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks. The only water feature is a small spa. We never use the connected spa, but water does run into it and then into the pool via a "water falll". When I replace the pump I will replace the entire assembly (pump, motor, basket).
    Pentair 1hp pump
    Hayward C1200 filter

10. Back To Top    #10

Well if you ever want to use the spa, you probably do not want to go any smaller in pump size (may even want to go bigger for better jet action), so a 2-speed of similar size or a vs pump might make sense when it is time to replace. What does your electricity cost?

11. Back To Top    #11

I should have mentioned that we have a separate pump we can turn on to use the spa as a spa. That would mean replacing the heater, which I'm not planning to do. We never use the.spa.
    Pentair 1hp pump
    Hayward C1200 filter

12. Back To Top    #12

Thanks for the info guys! I now have a new Pentair single stage 1 hp pimp and a New Hayward 120 cartage filter. I just slammed the pool yesterday and the water looks great!
    Pentair 1hp pump
    Hayward C1200 filter

13. Back To Top    #13

Sounds like your set...again we generally recommend a 2-speed pump when replacing since you will likely save significant electricity with with it over a single speed. What pump model number did you get?

14. Back To Top    #14

SF-N1-1A/340038
    Pentair 1hp pump
    Hayward C1200 filter