Help what am I getting into.....

clg82

Jun 25, 2013
Well I have a somewhat difficult question to answer, but I hope you guys can come thru for me. I live in so-cal and my wife and I purchased a home with a pool almost a year ago. Last year we used the pool during the summer and had a spectacular time! Me being very nit-picky i noticed that some of the plaster (blue color) was starting to bubble, i remember talking to the previous owner and when he got an estimate for recoating the pool before we bought it he decided to do it himself. He claims he sandblasted the pool and then painted over the exsisting plaster some kind of blue color but now it is starting to bubble and chip....long story i know but i believe it is a 10k gallon pool with a five foot middle and 3 foot shallow end on each side.....what do you think it would cost to have it pebbletec'ed and refinished? thanks for any help!

I would guess 5-6k. Ours was about $10k but the pool is larger and we had the tile replaced and got Pebbleshean ... but cheaper here than So-Cal. Regular plaster would probably be 3-4k.

Painting is just a bandaid good for a couple years at best it seems.

thanks for the replies.....that's the feeling i am starting to get after doing so research about painitng a pool.....not sure when i should try and get some estimates whens th ebest time of the year to try and get some work done on it?

BTW, if you are going to get Pebbletec ... look on their website and contact the INSTALLERS directly. The have approved installers that all the other pool companies have to sub contract to. So, you may save a bit going directly with the installer.

jblizzle said:
BTW, if you are going to get Pebbletec ... look on their website and contact the INSTALLERS directly. The have approved installers that all the other pool companies have to sub contract to. So, you may save a bit going directly with the installer.

awesome thanks for the suggestion, i am in a pretty remote part of the mojave desert so it may be hard going that route but I will give it a try.....as far as the prep for the pebbletec goes does the PB prep the pool for the installation or does pebbletec do that themselves as well?

You do not need a Pool Builder (who would just sub out the work). You need a plasterer. They will chip out all the old plaster and put the new stuff in.

Like I said, Pebbletec has approved installers, so they are the only ones that will install it regardless of your location.

Where are you located?

Please add your pool details to your signature and location to your profile as described HERE as it will help us help you.

jblizzle said:
You do not need a Pool Builder (who would just sub out the work). You need a plasterer. They will chip out all the old plaster and put the new stuff in.

Like I said, Pebbletec has approved installers, so they are the only ones that will install it regardless of your location.

Where are you located?

Please add your pool details to your signature and location to your profile as described HERE as it will help us help you.

I am located in Ridgecrest, CA

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.