Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Pool - Allen, TX

1. Back To Top    #1

New Pool - Allen, TX

I posted earlier and received a lot of great advice. Thanks for that! At that time we had pretty much decided on one of the 4 builders that we had approached but that ended up falling apart. Long story, but essentially the sales guy asked us to go with somebody else because he had discounted the pool so much he was afraid he was going to lose money. I didn't want to mess around with a builder who might try to cut corners so they could make money on the job so we obliged and went with our second choice. It's costing me more but I'm much more comfortable now. The builder we chose has built pools for 4 of our friends/neighbors in the past few years, so we feel good about them. So far, it has been a great process. See the pics below for the progress so far. Gunite is scheduled for later today.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Pool - Allen, TX

Here's the design we are working from.

3. Back To Top    #3

Your design looks great. We are also in Allen and about to select a builder in the next couple days. I sent you a PM ... if you have any feedback, I would REALLY appreciate it! Best of luck with the rest of your build!
    Build Complete! : 111ft pool + 8.5x5.5ft spa (12" raised), ~22k gallons, Shotcrete, Stonescapes MiniPebble (Aqua Blue), 3 scuppers, 3 bubblers, Large Tanning Ledge, Long Bench, Pentair: Intelliflow 3050 VS, 1.5HP WhisperFlow (scuppers), Quad 100 DE filter, MasterTemp 400k, IC60 SWG, Intellichem+Acid Tank, 2HP Silencer Blower, travertine decking (~680ft2), dry stack flagstone raised wall / spa spillway

4. Back To Top    #4

Very nice!

I have a buddy who lives in Allen. Cant wait to see it finished.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

5. Back To Top    #5

Gunite Pics! My wife is very excited that it is starting to look more like a pool and less like a disaster zone.

6. Back To Top    #6

Moving along. Everything is super dusty so the colors aren't very accurate as to what they'll look like in the end. We're very pleased with how everything is going. Hope everyone had a Happy New Year!

7. Back To Top    #7

Any updates?
    34'x22', depths 3.5 x 5.5 x 3.5; ~9' spa, Walnut Travertine coping, Quartzscape;
    Equipment: 2hp Jandy pump, water feature pump, Jandy DE Filter, 400k BTU heater, Jandy AquaPure PLC1400 Salt System;
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/80544338@N00/sets/72157641144436833/

8. Back To Top    #8

Sorry, I'm not much of a photographer. I quickly took a few pics this morning. Deck was poured Monday. Probably about 2 weeks till plaster (stonescapes) and then we'll have water! Very few bumps so far. I've got one issue with the coping around the spa that I'll post about later today when I get a few more minutes.

9. Back To Top    #9

So, this is a very minor problem, but kind of annoying. Let me start by saying that the stone guys were awesome and I'm really impressed with their skill. However, I was a little surprised that they would put this stone in such a prominent spot. I know there is a lot of natural variation in the stone color (this is Tennessee Flagstone called "Silvermist"), but as you can see from the pictures, this is one stone that looks nothing like the rest. The builder says he'll have them replace it, although I've asked several times and he always tries to talk me out of it a little before saying that he'll get them to do it soon. I know nothing at all about stone work. Is it that big of a deal to replace this one stone? I still shake my head at why they would have gone ahead and placed this stone in probably the most prominent place in the whole build.

10. Back To Top    #10

I also think it should be replaced. While they are doing it, I would have them remove that little triangle piece and re-cut the piece to the right (in the picture) so that the coping pieces join together smoothly like the ones farther to the right.

Nice looking pool by the way.
    20,000 IG WetEdge Satin Matrix Northshore Plum, Filled 8/24/12

11. Back To Top    #11

I always love to see steps and multiple levels in pools builds whenever possible. I just gives the design more character. On that one piece of stone; you would have thought that they would have thrown that piece out and not even used it. I did not see that color anywhere else in your pictures.
    Beautiful pool!!

12. Back To Top    #12

Great looking pool! Any updates?
    Build is Done!: 18'x40' diving pool, depth 3'6" x 9', 104' perimeter, ~24k gallons, spa (6 jets), raised wall (3 scuppers), tanning ledge, Pentair IntelliFlo 3050 VS+SVRS, Pentair Clean & Clear 520 cartridge filter, Pentair MasterTemp 400 BTU heater, Polaris QT 1.5 HP blower, Pentair Intellichlor IC60 SWG, IntelliBrite 5G lights, Pentair EasyTouch 8 with Screenlogic2, 504 sq ft Roman Slate textured deck, Aqua Blue StoneScapes finish

13. Back To Top    #13

Recent weather held things up a bit, but we are finally filling with water today! Very excited to have this project coming to completion. It has been very smooth and the PB was great to work with, but still glad to be done. We went with French gray mini pebble Stonescapes for the plaster. I like how everything turned out. I asked the PB about brushing the Stonescapes and he indicated it would be very minimal. He said he generally doesn't have the owners do much brushing at all if they choose Stonescapes. Any concerns from the forum members on this? I can't do anything until Monday because they won't be bringing me my pool equipment and doing the chemicals, pump startup, etc. till then.

14. Back To Top    #14

Wow that's pretty - love all the steps!
    Finally Done! - 21x34 IG, SWCG, depth - 3.6 - 4.6 - 6.6, Pentair IntelliFlow 3050 vs+svrs, 60 sq ft Pentair DE Filter, 400k BTU Heater, Polaris 280 w/.75 hp booster pump, Pentair EasyTouch wireless, 38 sq ft raised spa, wet edge Barbados quartz finish - ODK w/36 in Napoleon grill

15. Back To Top    #15

Very nice! I like all the steps too!

16. Back To Top    #16

Good looking pool. We have aqua blue mini pebble stonescapes. I brushed ours twice every day for two weeks. I could feel the finish getting smoother the more I brushed.
    Finally completed March 2014
    IG 27,300 gal 35'x16' 3.5'/5.5'/8' diving pool, Pentair Intellichlor IC40, De FNS 60, 3HP Intelliflo VF pump, Easy Touch 4, Kreapy Krauly Platnium, 3/4 Hp booster pump, raised stone wall w/ 2 stone scuppers, Stonescapes aqua blue mini pebble plaster

17. Back To Top    #17

That is a really nice looking pool and backyard.
    Approx 11K Gal. 10'X30' Semi free-form IG - 6 ' raised spa w/6 jets - 10' circle sun shelf with 1 bubbler - Waterfall - 3 / 1.5 HP pumps - Polaris 280 Cleaner - 3 Pentair Color LED Intellibrite Lights - Pentair 400K Master Temp - 2 Valve Actuators - 5 Fiberstar Mini Laminars - 1 Fiberstars 2004 Illuminator - 2 Skimmers - 6 Returns - Caribbean Blue Pebble Tech - 600+ sq ft kool decK - Auto Fill - 2 Boston Acoustics VOYA RK5 Outdoor Rock Speakers - 2 TIC Corporation TFS5CN 6.5-Inch 150-Watt Terra-Forms Rock Speakers - Apple Airport Express - 1 Awesome View.

18. Back To Top    #18

Very nice looking pool design.

I agree that the orange stone on the spa kind of sticks out like a sore thumb. I agree that they shouldn't have placed it to begin with. Seems like a lazy move. And I also agree that if you are going to have them replace it - do go ahead and have them fix (remove) the little triangle partial piece. They should be able to fit bigger pieces like the rest of it.

OR - you can keep it for it's "uniqueness" and name it like a pet rock.

19. Back To Top    #19

Looks awesome!

Build Complete! : 111ft pool + 8.5x5.5ft spa (12" raised), ~22k gallons, Shotcrete, Stonescapes MiniPebble (Aqua Blue), 3 scuppers, 3 bubblers, Large Tanning Ledge, Long Bench, Pentair: Intelliflow 3050 VS, 1.5HP WhisperFlow (scuppers), Quad 100 DE filter, MasterTemp 400k, IC60 SWG, Intellichem+Acid Tank, 2HP Silencer Blower, travertine decking (~680ft2), dry stack flagstone raised wall / spa spillway