Is this a normal looking plaster job?

Pro Golfer Mark

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 23, 2013
Las Vegas, NV
Can someone take a look at these mid-fill pics on my new pool and tell me if this is normal looking streaking on new white plaster? Particularly the darker streaks on the spa wall by the steps as these streaks have yet to go away after almost a month of daily brushing. The plaster company is coming out to take a look this week, but I'd like to know what the experts here say.

Attachments

• IMG_1683.JPG
    IMG_1683.JPG
    102.8 KB · Views: 267
  • IMG_1677.JPG
    IMG_1677.JPG
    100.2 KB · Views: 266
You know, that is what mine looked like as well, the instructions stated brush, brush, brush. First time I have every gotten just a plain jane white pearl finish, so after a year when mine still looks the same (yes, you can see the streaks in the clear BBB water) - the pool contractor tells me I need an acid wash now, for an additional 550.00. And I brushed twice a day for a week, once a day for 3 weeks, and twice a week since.

Any body else like to chime in - I would like to know, too.

For what it's worth, this is an excerpt from my PBs literature:

Remember, Pebble Tec® is supposed to be mottled with
varying concentrations of stone exposure and variations
in color. Plaster is also a cement product mined from the
earth and is never uniform in color. The color variations
are more noticeable in the evening or when your pool is
illuminated at night, which has nothing to do with the
quality of the finish.

Hi, Ellie.....I can't speak for your pool contractor, was just sharing info as to what mine says.

I'm not sure which one is correct, but if the people I used are correct then an acid wash may not make much of a difference.

danjaymor, I know - you were right with the quote above, and the plaster job that is picture is spot on, it will whiten up, just be prepared for the natural elements in the plaster. It will look beautiful in a few months and in a year, perfection. Don't fret, just brush it religiously to get the dust off and make the finish as smooth as possible so that nothing will stick to it. You will love it.

Mark, from the look of the pictures of your brand new plaster job, I would say that the slightly mottled look is normal for white plaster pools. It will never look like a white paint job.
However, the spa wall does look a little more mottled than normal, and may worsen in time. However, the mottling might even out more as time passes (one year).
Take a few photos now and compare in a couple of months to see if there is any change.
Brushing is always good, but it won't make a difference in the mottling.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.