Replacing single speed pump+booster pump

ptlee

Dec 17, 2013
I have a Pentair WhisperFlo 011516 single speed 3HP pool pump. Pool is ~35,000 gallons. I also have a booster pump that runs a vacuum pool cleaner (not sure model). Also, I have a solar water heater (the type that runs the water to the roof onto these black tubes to heat the water up from the sun and back to the pool). I've heard the 3HP pump is way overkill but it came with the house I bought but maybe because of solar panels?

I am thinking about replacing the pool pump with a variable speed Pentair Intelliflo 011018 (Leslie's Pool Supply has a sale with free installation of any pool pump) to save on electricity bills. I was wondering - Is there a way to run a vacuum style cleaner that I can run on the new variable speed pump (stop using the booster pump) that isn't the robotic pumps (I really prefer to leave the cleaner in the pool vs having to run it and take it out every time) - this way save on both electricity of the pool pump and booster pump.

Is there a chance I can run the pool pump and the cleaner at separate times (maybe with a switching valve) but all powered by the new variable speed pump? I'm a newbie but just reading online for help.

Thanks!!!

Happy to post any more details if anyone can be helpful :)

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Yes there are cleaners that you can run with a single pump. Either switch to a suction side cleaner. Or there are pressure side cleaners that do NOT require a booster pump (designed for high flow low pressure) ... it sounds like you currently have a pressure side cleaner that requires a booster (designed for low flow high pressure). Although if the pipe supplying your current cleaner is too small, it may be difficult to get adequate flow through it for a non-booster pressure side cleaner.

Any automation systems would allow you to have a automatic valve to turn the cleaner on or off ... the pool pump would have to be on in either case though.

Your current pump is VERY big. Do you have a need for such high flow rates? Big water features or a spa or something? You might be able to save more money just switching to a smaller 2-speed motor.

Yeah, the current pump I heard from several people is way to much and not clear from anyone given our equipment why they did that. No spa or other features like fountain or anything. Just the pool (its salt water but heard this wouldn't change anything). And this is another reason to replace the pump because its probably costing us even more electricity.

Thanks for the suggestions on the cleaner. Is it pretty straightforward to find some who can do this for me (the automation system for the valve you mentioned)? I'm pretty handy around the house but have never dealt with a pool system so a little bit intimidated to mess around.

Also, is there a reason you think doing a smaller 2-speed would be better than going to a variable? I guess they cost less but are they as efficient?

Well, the 2-speed that I got was around $400. The VS you are looking at is at least $900.

On low speed (of a 2 speed) it moves 1/2 the water as on high but only used 1/4 the electricity. So even running on low for double the time saves 50% of the power usage compared to on high or a single speed. The VS has the advantage that it is slight more efficient at all speed, but mainly because it can run at even lower RPM to save more money. But, depending on your cost of electricity, it may take many year before the VS save $500 in electricity over the 2-speed to offset the initial extra cost.

But, the VS gives you flexibility and lets you dial in the speeds you need and maybe even be saving money while running the solar (which btw is most efficient at heating at high flow rates). So you could set a very slow filter speed, and a speed that is just enough for the cleaner to run part of the time, and a higher speed for the solar.

I am not sure which automation would be the best value to control just a cleaner valve. Do you already have a solar controller?

All the installation is fairly easy if you are handy, although some manufacturers are now limiting the warranties for the DIYer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.