Pool Repair Quote -- Is this reasonable?

Jul 4, 2013
We have decided to get the pool reconditioned before next summer and figured this winter is the best time for it. We don't want to spend an exorbitant amount as we are only planning on owning this home for a few years before moving on and the investment of pebble tec and other costlier solutions would be a poor choice; from a financial standpoint. That said, we have found someone who has offered to drain the pool, acid wash it, patch all the areas that are flaking away, repair the waterline tile (we have the tile), fix all the cracks in the deck and paint both the pool and the deck for $1500. Having absolutely no experience and seeing a huge variety in pricing for this type of work, I was curious if anyone might have some input on whether this seems reasonable for what is being done? Attached is a picture of the pool and the proposal, we are in Phoenix, AZ. Thanks for your time!

Painting is not a very long term solution and can start flaking within a few years, looking worse than what you stated with. It will also not hide any blemishes in the pool.

Sounds like a reasonable price, but may not give you the results you are hoping for.

We understand that painting is considerably less ideal than other solutions, however given the time we plan on being here, even if we need to drain and repaint before selling, we are still a few thousand ahead. I was mostly concerned with the cost as other companies want 2k+ for the same work. Thanks for the quick response!

Price may be too good to be true - quality of paint, prep, etc... should be around 2,500. Did you or will you be getting references? Acid wash is usually around 500-800. AZ has lower labor costs, like Houston, but also a lot of fly by nighters. It is what you want and what you will get. Don't see any costs for the tile work, either.

Thanks everyone. We asked for references and quickly received a bunch from the local area. After confirming with 6 of them, all were very fond of his work, several had worked with him for over 5 years. I believe this price is certainly extremely low for the amount of work being done but we're gonna give this a go and see what happens! I'll post some pictures of everything as it's completed. Below is a picture of the pool after this morning's acid wash. He will be coming back in the morning for a deposit and fixing the tile, various cracks and imperfections in the plaster.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.