Upgrading to Intelliflo, adding EasyTouch later

Jun 14, 2009
Quick (hopefully) question. Did lots of searching but didnt seem to find my answer.

I am going to upgrade my pump to a Pentair Intelliflo, most like the VS or it's latest revision.

My question is, if I add the EasyTouch later, does that give me the additional control features that I would see out of the Intelliflo VF (more granular speed options)?

Also, I have a booster motor for my polaris. If I'm reading correctly, that would wire to the relay of the EasyTouch, so that it could be controlled by the system and ensure I don't get out of time sync with the VS pump.

And finally, I would be adding the IC40 version of the EasyTouch, not sure if that makes a difference in my plan.

Thanks!

ichbinpete said:
My question is, if I add the EasyTouch later, does that give me the additional control features that I would see out of the Intelliflo VF (more granular speed options)?

Thanks!

The Easytouch will allow you to program buttons for different speeds/flows, but it is pretty much the same as what is available at the pump drive display.

The power of the Easytouch is automation;
select "Spa" from Screenlogic iphone app, and pumps, heater and valves will respond accordingly while you drive home...

That can of stuff

The VF pump just allows you so select a flow rate and the pump with increase the RPM to maintain that flow rate even as the filter become dirty. This can result in higher than expected electrical usage. I would not suggest the VF version as it is more expensive and very little if any value added. Stick with the VS version.

I do not think the EasyTouch adds any control that is not already in the pump itself (other than having the pump react to different mode selections automatically ... like switching to spa as mentioned above).

To add, the EasyTouch will allow you much better control over the SWG. The SWG is only controllable to 20% increments without the automation.

what about controlling the booster motor and making sure it only runs when the main pump is chugging away? Just trying to see if there is added value and from what i can tell, the IC40 and Power is only a few hundred less than the package with the EasyTouch, unless the Easy Touch doesnt provide power for the IC40

The Easytouch should be able to prevent the booster from running without the main pump on. Although you could also do that with relays and timers.

I think the Easytouch does provide power for the IC40 (although I am not 100% ... I know the Hayward automation better).

ichbinpete said:
what about controlling the booster motor and making sure it only runs when the main pump is chugging away? Just trying to see if there is added value and from what i can tell, the IC40 and Power is only a few hundred less than the package with the EasyTouch, unless the Easy Touch doesnt provide power for the IC40

Verify Easytouch part numbers carefully; they have with internal SWG transformer (Power supply) and without transformer. Single body and dual body, 4 aux and 8 aux.

I would recommend Internal SWG transformer, dual body (Provided you have two bodies) and 8 aux.

Personally I am very happy with the 011012 intelliflo VF pump. All the features water fall, SWG, heater, etc require a minimum GPM to operate properly, and it is easy enough to clean the filter when the pump wattage starts to climb.

ichbinpete said:
I have and can re-use my timer that is already in place. I was jsut worried about the pumps becoming out of sync with one another

Also, what does "bodies" refer to?

Spa is a body and pool is a body, two bodies has the circuits to operate valve actuators for automatically switching from spa and pool mode.

Ok, so i installed my new VS today. Everything went without a hitch. Had some squirting water during the intitial start up, but some tightening of the connections and I was good to go. I primed the pump and it seemed to get up to speed quite quickly. Being short on time and daylight, I didnt yet program the pump on any schedule yet.

As for the flow rate, I would be shooting for, I was hoping you guys could give some guidance there. The pool is a 34k gallon pool and right now I'm using a weekly chlorine gas service to monitor and balance my chemicals. As previously stated, I have a polaris booster motor (which is obnoxiously loud compared to my new pump) that I would like to run for 30-60 minutes at night. Also, my suction side piping is 2.5" and returns appear to be 2" for the pool, 1.5" for the booster.

Are people really doing the low gpm/all day run time thing or some sort of mix? I know I need to program it to kick up to ~1500 when I run the booster (i think that's waht I've read) but was hoping to get some better guidance.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.