Wasn't expecting a pool?!

All this stuff is an expensive initial outlay, what with the test kit, a speedstir, extra reagents, but when compared to the fact that I was spending around $50 a week and sometimes a lot more, all of last summer when I got a water clarity / algae issue and the pool store kept loading me up with phosphate removers, clarifiers, flocculents, stabiliser, powdered shock time after time. It really doesn't take long for self testing to become the cheaper option. I wish I had started out this way!

That's excellent info , I might go ahead with the k2006 from eBay au , not worth letting the pool by waiting week(s) for the kit to come from u.s for a matter of 10-20 dollars difference.

I'm excited ! :)

This kit has everything I need , except salt test?

$10-20 initially, and then you'll need more R0871 and CYA reagent when you run out and have to pay shipping all over again. Either way, it's still going to be cheaper than the pool store!
The kit has everything you need except a salt test. That is correct. Assuming you don't have any borates (Sold in Australian BioGuard pool stores as "Optimiser" and included in some of their powdered chlorines, although they don't make it obvious)

Folks on here swear by the AquaChek salt test strips... we can get them in Bunnings... but I've had no luck with them at all, they do not work for me and do not give an accurate reading. Salt is the one thing I have tested at the pool store every month or so (they can do an OK reading on that!). MUCH easier that trying to get hold of the salt drop test reagents... and a LOT cheaper, as long as you don't buy anything!

But you're right, it IS exciting! I love it!

Take this "with a grain of salt " as I don't have first hand experience with an SWG (saltwater chlorine generator), but my understanding is the important thing is not the exact level of salt, but that your SWG is happy, assuming it has a "low salt" warning light then just add salt if the light comes on. Salt testing may be helpful at some points to tell if the cell is dying though.

That is right. My drop test reads higher than my SWG, so I just have to keep the SWG happy. But if the SWG starts to read consistently lower, then the cell could be going bad.

While I'm waiting for my test kit , couple of other things , don't those rocks leech minerals into the water? They are touching the waterline.

Also on 2 tiles above the water line there is some hard white stuff between the tiles - does this indicate anything to worry about - see pic

77F36099-3D62-4768-8821-66191F8D4FD2-139-000000A28319C596_zpse8056c66.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just reinforcing what jblizzle has already said, that's a fairly common issue and is called efflorescence. Muriatic acid will remove it but it will likely slowly come back.

That good pic you posted points out something somewhat off the subject but worth noting. See that hairline crack running just underneath the coping? Correctly done, that joint between the coping and wall tile should've been done with a good polyurethane caulk instead of grout. The decking and the pool walls move independently of each other (ever so slightly) but enough to cause the crack in the grout. Poly caulk will stretch and contract much better keeping that joint better sealed.

It's not anything that I would correct at this point but, at some point, you may see some of that grout begin to fall out and can address it then.....might be years.

K2006 kit has arrived :woot: will post result as soon as I get home , have been reading pool school and specifically what levels of chems for swg so we'll see where the pool is at to begin with

Using 10ml sample

Added 2x of those tiny scoops of powder it turned pink.
DAAFD91B-A12F-4656-AAD7-9E3D0E04D1C6-1719-000004870A3175B6_zps14d2adf7.jpg

15 drops to turn colourless - step 3
2BF1076E-1EEA-4BC7-B2DC-548BFFA12263-1719-0000048729032E8E_zps077cfc12.jpg

5 drops - to show if combined chlorine present
It turned into a very faint pink
99CD8FEF-B26A-4262-8A77-A9390DD4DBFC-1719-0000048748DABBF0_zpscb10fa45.jpg

1 drop to change back to clear.

So is this right?
Free chlorine - 7.5

Combined - .5

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.