Pump sizing help needed - 22k pool + 3 scuppers + 3 bubblers

Nov 25, 2013
North Texas
Thanks, everyone, for all the help so far. However, I need more!

We are planning a pool (no spa) with the following specs:
~22k gallons
1x24" scupper, 2x18" scuppers, about 1ft above water level
3 bubblers
3" suction, 2.5" returns
~30ft from pool to equipment, about level
Polaris 280 with booster

I would like to be able to run the pool, 3 scuppers, and 3 bubblers independently. I want to make sure the 3 scuppers have solid water flow so they don't just trickle. I want to bubblers to flow sufficiently as well, and often they will all be running at the same time.

PB is suggesting a Pentair Intelliflow 3HP VS pump + Pentair 3HP booster pump + Polaris booster.

Any issues with this setup? Any better recommendations?

Re: Pump sizing help needed - 22k pool + 3 scuppers + 3 bubb

What flow rate do each of the water features require?

Are you planning to run the water features all the time or are you ok with running them in exchange for the normal pool returns?

I would really try to design the pool without any boosters as they will cost $$ to run. But it depends on the flow rate requirements.

You can also ditch the Polaris booster by getting a cleaner that doesn't require a booster like ThePoolCleaner.

According to 1 builder, the scuppers require about 75gpm total (5ft x 15gpm), and the bubblers require 75 total (3 x 25gpm). I believe the pool would require about 46gpm for 1 turnover in 8hours.

I would probably want the ability to run the returns and the features at the same time, for those long summer days where the pool is being used and the features are on.

bhargraves said:
According to 1 builder, the scuppers require about 75gpm total (5ft x 15gpm), and the bubblers require 75 total (3 x 25gpm). I believe the pool would require about 46gpm for 1 turnover in 8hours.
So the total flow rate for the Scuppers and bubblers is 150 GPM which rules out a single pump

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.