Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: retrofitting a pvc pipe thru concrete wall

1. Back To Top    #1

retrofitting a pvc pipe thru concrete wall

My second post here, still working on my signature..
    Anyhow, IG, 25K, cast concrete walls, 8" thick, ceramics tiled. For some reason I need to add another 1-1/2" or two pvc pipes thru the pool wall. I do have an access to parts of the backside of the walls. what I ask is what size of hole to drill in the wall in order to accommodate 1-1/2" PVC pipe, and how and with what to seal it good. The drilling itself will be done using a diamond core bit, starting obviously from the inside tiled surface.
    Waiting eagerly for any suggestion!

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Re: retrofitting a pvc pipe thru concrete wall

I would make the hole about 1/2" wider than the outside diameter of the pipe.

Then, pack and fill that 1/4" gap all around with a fast drying masonry compound, like one you use to set vertical decorative fence posts. I would not use caulk unless you can force it well into the wall

Drill a pilot hole through the wall so the core bit won't "walk" and you'll get a nice, straight hole.

I would not trust the core bit to not break the tile. I would manually chip or cut out the tile back just a little bit so the core drill doesn't touch it.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School