Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Suggestions for leak at Pump

1. Back To Top    #1

Suggestions for leak at Pump

Hi guys, I just bought a house with a pool, but it has a leak at the pump. It's one of the lines that runs to the filter. Attached are pictures of the leak.

I was thinking of some putty or sealant for PVC pipe. Would that be OK?
    15' x 30' Oval In-Ground 13,500 Gallons, Built 1979, Millenium 27" Sand Filter, Centurion 2HP 56-Frame Pump, Dolphin Deluxe 4 Pool Cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Suggestions for leak at Pump

Welcome to the forum.

Your pics didn't show up. If it's on a line going from the pump to the filter, there should be only one line and, unfortunately, it will be a slightly harder fix than just putty
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the response, that doesn't sound good. It is on that line. Working on a Cell phone, unfortunately the cable guys are always the last to come in a move

15' x 30' Oval In-Ground 13,500 Gallons, Built 1979, Millenium 27" Sand Filter, Centurion 2HP 56-Frame Pump, Dolphin Deluxe 4 Pool Cleaner

4. Back To Top    #4

Looks like the pipe dope is old and failing. Not sure if you can just undo the pipe from the pump and clean it off. You may need to undo the union and replace the segment between the pump and the union. Wait for other opinions to see what the plumbing experts have to say.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Yeah, smykowski has you covered with good advice.

Unscrew the union (smart guy that put it there), There's an 0-ring inside the union, don't lose it.

Then unscrew that pipe assembly from your pump.

Remove all traces of the old pipe dope on both the pump and the pipe....especially down in the threads.

Then simply remake the joint by evenly spreading a generous layer of pipe dope on the male threads and screw it in.

Screw it in carefully so you arrive at a point where the joint is snug and the union end of the section lines back up with the other side of the union. Hand tighten is all you need.

Wipe off all the excess pipe dope on your new joint so it will look nice and professional.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for all your help guys, I really appreciate it. I went and got done of the PVC cement, but I can't get the union to screw for the life of me. What do you his think I should use to get it off? I'm sure it's got glue on it already on

7. Back To Top    #7

Yeah, that was the other thing I noticed. Unions shouldn't have pipe dope on them. There's an o-ring in there that gets the job done.

Put an old rag over the union to protect the plastic, then use either channel locks or a pipe wrench to get a little leverage. Go slow, though. If you don't break the seal, you'll break the union.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry