Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Ascorbic acid use on Diamond Brite

1. Back To Top    #1

Ascorbic acid use on Diamond Brite

Recently I was told by a pool company that the stain on my pool surface which is diamond brite is caused by the copper in algeacide. He told me the pool had to be drained and acid washed. The cost would be about 800. The stain is light in color. I live in florida so I thought I'd try ascorbic acid. Don t think I need to worry about algae since the water has cooled to 72 degrees. Maybe I'm wrong. Will the ascorbic acid treatment work on diamond brite? Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: Ascorbic acid use on Diamond Brite

Welcome to TFP!!!

I think ascorbic acid should work on any surface. Once you do the treatment and the stains lift, then you will need to continuously use one of the recommended sequestrants to prevent the stains from coming back. See pool-school/metal%20stains

You have found the most expensive reason that we NEVER recommend copper based algaecides or mineral systems.

You can certainly still get algae with 70 degree water. The growth rate slows as it gets colder.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!