Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Recommendations for equipment??

1. Back To Top    #1

Recommendations for equipment??

Hi Folks. New here, looking for advice.
    I have an 8 year old plaster, salt pool that is ~11,000 gallons.

The builder used a Jandy package, containing a CL 460 cartridge filter, a gas heater, an Aqupure 1400 and a 2HP pump.
    I have a solar heater and a pretty large spa. All of the valves and other items, (PDA) are Jandy products.

After 8 years I am going to have to replace some stuff. The filter has cracked, and needed new cartridges anyway.
    Before I go get the same model, Is there something newer that better fits my application? I have a family member that recommended a Clean and Clear 150, but I am concerned about the size, in relation to the pump size. Is that a legitimate concern?

The Aquapure cell is shot too. I have run the diagnostics and am confident that it is the cell, and not the back board that has caused issues for so many people.
    I can buy a new cell, for quite a bit less than an entire new system, but I have read good things about the Hayward system.
    Is there any good argument for sticking with Jandy vs. going to Hayward?

I appreciate your time and will watch for your comments.

Mike
    12,000 Gal plaster pool & spa.
    Jandy 2.7HP V.S. e pump, with IQpump control.
    Jandy AquaPure 1400. Jandy PDA.
    Solar heat. Jandy 400btu ng heater.
    Pentair 420 cartridge filter. Polaris 360 sweep.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Recommendations for equipment??

I would agree with your concerns about going with a filter as small as the 150. Since you are running a big 2Hp pump for a spa, you may want to get something a little bigger, although a 460 is likely a good bit larger than you "need". You really can not go too big with a cartridge filter, it just delays the frequency of your required cleaning.

If the SWG controller is still fine, then certainly just get a new cell ... no point in switching brands if it is functional. We recommend sizing the SWG cell 1.5-3 times larger than you pool. So, I would look for a cell in the 25k range (assuming your controller can handle different sizes).
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Recommendations for equipment??

Thanks for your input,Jason
    12,000 Gal plaster pool & spa.
    Jandy 2.7HP V.S. e pump, with IQpump control.
    Jandy AquaPure 1400. Jandy PDA.
    Solar heat. Jandy 400btu ng heater.
    Pentair 420 cartridge filter. Polaris 360 sweep.