West Texas Pool Build

Patrick_B

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 7, 2011
Midland TX
Well, we finally started this week on Tuesday after all the ice melted. A couple of weeks late, but the weather didn't help. I've put the details in my Sig line, but feel free to ask if there is something you want to know. I've spent the better part of two years researching just about everything to the Nth degree, mostly here reading hundreds of build threads, and everything else I could scour on the net. I seriously considered being my own GC, but simply couldn't find enough people free to do it. It was hard enough locating a builder we really liked with our limited local choices. Honestly, I was also too chicken to take it all on with no previous build under my belt. I think we found a good one judging by his other work feedback from previous customers. He also wasn't the highest price, but we would have chosen him even if he had been a little higher. I know there will be issues with any project this large, but I feel we made the best choice. I figure we can be done in a couple of months, but I may put off the finish and fill until the weather starts to turn. I'm not encouraged by the winter thus far and would rather not have my hands frozen to a brushing pole. :lol:

To briefly summarize, we wanted a nice pool with good features, but nothing complicated. Instead of automation and other bells and whistles, we spent the funds on the best materials and biggest size we could afford. We know we wouldn't get enough benefit from a spa to justify the extra cost and complications so we didn't build one. I mention it, because it seems like everyone is shocked we didn't do it. For us it's an easy decision, and one I think we'll be glad we made. I'll be posting some pics along the way, so hopefully you'll enjoy seeing our build.

Here is the design we came up with. Builder made his own off of this, but I keep forgetting to ask for a copy to post. This will have to do.

Yea, we had a cheap pool the last few years, but it got you wet. I'm pretty sure I'll be using more Bleach now though. :scratch:

A yard shot from the other side. This tree had to be sacrificed unfortunately, but so it is.

I have not seen this on any build here, but could have missed it. I thought it interesting they started this way.

They scratched up the grass first for clean dirt. They knew my buddy was picking up the dirt and wanted to keep it clean.
Turns out he didn't care, but they did this without me asking them too.

My Pool Inspector, best buddy and constant shadow. You'll be seeing plenty of Sarge...so as Megan Kelly says, get used to it. :lol:

Hold up! I need to check this out.

Alright, looks good...back at it!

Uploading other pics now, and they are due back today, so I'll update later. We hit rock (Caliche) yesterday, so there is some extra work ahead.

Re: New West Texas Pool Build

Congrats on getting started pup ! I agree with you on not getting all the "bells n whistles" and spending the money on other things you like. Sometimes simple is a good way to go.
Looking forward to your build and more pics !!
Good luck !!

I wholeheartedly agree with you about the spa. While I love my hot tub, I'm glad it is separate from the pool. I don't know how we'd be able to use an auto-cover with one attached to the pool and that safety feature is very important to me. Also the hot tub is much closer to the back door for those cold winter night soaks. :lol:

Great Start.

That's my first good look at those (false mulberry???) trees. Looks like they have a big root system but they are easy to look at, for sure. Great yard tree.

The pool looks to fit in the yard nicely. The finished product will have a comfortable feel to it, I think.

By the way, that Sarge dog looks pretty smart to me. Is their any chance he is "mooning" us in that one pic?

duraleigh said:
Great Start.
That's my first good look at those (false mulberry???) trees. Looks like they have a big root system but they are easy to look at, for sure. Great yard tree.
The pool looks to fit in the yard nicely. The finished product will have a comfortable feel to it, I think.
By the way, that Sarge dog looks pretty smart to me. Is their any chance he is "mooning" us in that one pic?

Actually, I told Sarge this pic is for Dave, and he said Ok, here's one just for him. :mrgreen:

Yes, Fruitless Mulberry, and thanks, we love our backyard.

Butterfly...he could have been thinking that to be honest. He has that primitive instinct big time.

Thanks Zia! :wave:

Congrats on getting started Patrick!
I like the design! I wouldn't worry if anyone is shocked you didn't do a spa. It's your pool and it seems you're getting exactly what you want, and that's all that matters!

Can't wait to follow the progress! :goodjob:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Re: Brushpup's New West Texas Pool Build

Thanks Skylar!

Someone asked me what Caliche is...pretty much a form of Limestone/Calcium Carbonate.
What it means to me is $500 per day extra dig time. Hopefully it won't be too hard and dense.

I'm a little concerned about the compaction of the roots on my Wife's Mimosa Tree.
However, this little thing has struggled since we put it in, but started to show some
growth this summer finally. We can always plant another if it does.

They didn't work Saturday after all, so this is where we stand so far. If the rock
isn't too bad, we'll be dug out this week. I am SO glad we didn't decide to go bigger!!!

Of Course... He thinks it will go somewhere like the Golf Cart. :lol:

Well, it ain't looking good for the home team. We are down to rock and of course the hardest so far seems to be in the deep end. We're pretty much at depth for shallow, but man I'm hoping for just a layer on the other end. It's common, but you never know around here.

It's only money right? :rant:

This time from down in the pool....First shot looking toward shallow end.

Second shot looking toward the deep. On the right of this frame is where it is the hardest rock so far.

Sarge does not look happy. my assumption is his owner shares those feelings.

Sorry for that luck of the draw, brushpup. It does look like it's progressing well, though.

There are some ways to recoup that cost at the equipment pad, but we'll talk about that as you get closer.

Thanks, we will just have too see how many days "extra" this is going to be. If too many, there won't be enough possible trimming at the pad to recoup.
Just the way it goes sometimes. Dangitt!!

Congrats on the start up, Patrick!

Sorry about the caliche, we had the same problem. Nice, clean, beautiful dirt for 4-5 feet, and then.....natural cement! :cry:

For me it turned out to be a semi-blessing, though, as it required the PB to bring out the jackhammer excavator. The previous homeowners had laid a brick border from the corner of our house to the fence line. I had started to break it out myself prior to the dig but the PB told me not to worry about it, that the excavator would rip it right out.

Well, for some God awful reason the previous owner set this 4x8x1" brickline on a 6" wide x 24" deep concrete foundation!!

What in the heck? I have no idea what they were thinking....

The PB was originally going to cover the hard dig at no extra charge, but when they ran into this "under ground wall" he told me it would be an extra 5 hundy. I told him that it was a bargain, because I wouldn't do it for 500 bucks.....

We never know what kind of "treasures" are below ground until we uncover 'em.

Patrick - just looked at your design again and saw your light placement.
What type of lights are you putting in? With the way that they're placed at the moment, you may have an area in the middle of the pool that doesn't get much light from either of the two lights (where the sun ledge is on the decking). The steps will probably block a fair bit of light too.

It depends on what your priorities are for lighting up the pool. At the moment it looks like your deep and shallow ends will be well lit but the middle closest to the house may not be. I'm sure you've thought all this through carefully just wanted to raise it to be sure!

My pool has similar dimensions and shape to yours and I have a light on either end and it only just covers the pool with light - the darker colors (red particularly) don't project very well into the pool. In hindsight I'd love to have put a third light in, but the reality is that they're quite expensive and my contingency budget went into other things that I wanted more.

Looking good so far though - hope there's not too much rock for ya!

First I want to say thanks to everyone who has responded so far. I appreciate all your replies.

danjaymor:

Strange they would do that I agree, and puzzling to be honest...why in the world!?!??
How much rock did you end up digging through to reach required depth? We have a lot to go yet....about 5' in places. :shock:

cbink:

We're putting in 400 watt standard lights, so with two should be plenty of brightness everywhere. I was thinking one orginially, but the PB talked me into two. The one in the shallow will be at a level where it lights most of the steps, but not certain of the precise measurement just yet. We are toying with moving the deeper light more into the deep end past the swim-out, but still on that wall. If we put it under the diving board say, then it would shine back at us too much. Not decided on that yet, but where they are now faces away from the house and Patio where we spend most of our time. Appreciate your thoughts as new and differents sets of eyes are always good.

Brushpup said:
cbink:

We're putting in 400 watt standard lights, so with two should be plenty of brightness everywhere. I was thinking one orginially, but the PB talked me into two. The one in the shallow will be at a level where it lights most of the steps, but not certain of the precise measurement just yet. We are toying with moving the deeper light more into the deep end past the swim-out, but still on that wall. If we put it under the diving board say, then it would shine back at us too much. Not decided on that yet, but where they are now faces away from the house and Patio where we spend most of our time. Appreciate your thoughts as new and differents sets of eyes are always good.
With standards you'll probably be just fine. The LEDs don't throw their light as far. :goodjob:
If you put it just to the RHS of the swim out, you'd probably get better coverage without it shining straight at you in the house still.

Great build so far! Love the pup pictures he looks really interested in how they dug a hole that big since he probably was never able to do one that size all by himself.....you think he'll end up going for a dip when it's all warm and ready to go?

Yea cbink, I agree it might, it's just one of those things we cant decide yet.

Welcome to the forum cig82, and thanks!
As for the pup taking a dip, we will be shocked if he jumps in. That said, I plan on teaching him where the steps are once the shell is in.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.