Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: TA: how low is too low?

1. Back To Top    #1

TA: how low is too low?

I have a salt water pool, and would like to know how low can the TA go before there are problems either short term or long term. My TA is currently around 70 ppm but has a tendency to decrease.
    7,500 gal, IG pool, L shape 22' x 15', 1.5 hp pump, cartridge filter, AquaPlus SWG/Controller, Pebble-Tec liner.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: TA: how low is too low?

Some people have taken TA down to the 50 to 60 range without problems. Just how far down you can go depends on your CYA level. If you post a full set of test results we should be able to suggest an approach to stabilizing your TA and PH.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: TA: how low is too low?

OK full set of numbers as of last Sunday:
    FC 4.2
    TC 4.2
    CC 0.0
    pH 7.6
    TA 70
    CH 390
    CYA 70
    Borates 40
    Salt 3000
    temp 88

Two weeks ago the TA was 60, I added 1 lb of baking soda. A week ago the TA was still 60, I added 3 lbs of baking soda. Sunday I added another 2 lbs. This pool has always had a very high acid demand. I am adding about 32 oz of 32% acid per week. I have recently installed a metering pump to automatically feed acid into the pool. The pool was finished in October of last year so is about 8 months old.
    7,500 gal, IG pool, L shape 22' x 15', 1.5 hp pump, cartridge filter, AquaPlus SWG/Controller, Pebble-Tec liner.