Installing a safety fence in travertine?

Of course, travertine by itself is incapable of the strength required to hold a fence. (as is any surface material) I assume you have a solid 4" concrete slab under the travertine, correct?

Give us a bit more info.

We don't have anything yet. We are looking to sign a contract in the next week, and are trying to figure out which kind of decking to put in - travertine or stamped concrete. We want to put in a safety fence, but I am concerned about travertine's ability to hold it steady. I think most just lay travertine on sand. Pool fence websites say they install them in travertine, but I have not been able to find much in the way of details on the topic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If they lay it on sand then yes you will probably have problems much like how safety cover anchors will pull out pavers when installed incorrectly. With safety cover the anchors are to be installed in the joints between the pavers usually using pipe in anchor. Its all about getting into solid ground

Installing travertine as pavers on sand is quite a bit different than grouting travertine and installing it on a subsurface of concrete.

In either case, a fence can be put through it but think in terms of the fence being anchored from under the travertine rather than in it. The fence post would only pass through the travertine and not count on travertine for any structural support.

To add to what the others have said, the pool safety fence (at least the katchakid version which is what we have) needs at least 4" of concrete. We looked at running ours over grass and it needed concrete footings every 3'.

If your sold on the travertine then yes, they can put some footers in. Our fence extends into the grass on both sides of the pool and they just dug a hole and poured some Quickrete. It's solid, a cheap solution and the fence is really secure - so you can get the best of both worlds.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.