Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My First Pool

1. Back To Top    #1

My First Pool

Hi All, as indicated, this my first pool. Just moved in and the previous owner said he "Just knew what to do; dumped in a 1/2 gallon of 10.5 chlorine every week". Also kept 2-3 3" large chlorinating pucks in a tube that, I assume pool water circulated thru when the pump is running (about 8 hours/day). I have a TF-100 test kit. Please advise.
    FC 36 CC 0 TA 50 CH 260 CYA 100

Thanks a ton!
    Dan
    Dan 14K plaster IG caged pool in Fort Myers, FL Pentair SuperFlo VS Pentair cartridge filter Pentair UltraTemp 110 heat pump Pool Pilot Nano SWG Great White Suction cleaner TF-100 Speedstir

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: My First Pool

Welcome to tfp, maryspoolboy

Quote Originally Posted by maryspoolboy
    I have a TF-100 test kit.

You did not post your ph?

How does your water look?

A cya reading of 100 with the tf-100 kit may actually be higher. I would do a 1/2 pool water 1/2 cya free water (tap water is fine) and redo the test. Then multiply your result by 2. Getting the cya down is probably your first step. If there are still pucks in the feeder, take them out.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!

For the CYA test, was the water well below the line? That would mean it is much higher than 100ppm, which is already too high.

Your FC appears way high, did you use a 10ml water sample and used 72 drops?

First step is to lower the CYA by replacing at least 50% of the water. All those tablets have raised it too high.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Sorry pH is 7.2
    I took out the pucks even before I registered.
    Yup, 10ml
    Dan 14K plaster IG caged pool in Fort Myers, FL Pentair SuperFlo VS Pentair cartridge filter Pentair UltraTemp 110 heat pump Pool Pilot Nano SWG Great White Suction cleaner TF-100 Speedstir

5. Back To Top    #5

The water is crystal clear. I'm ready to jump in but that FC scares me

6. Back To Top    #6

Actually that FC is perfectly safe since your CYA is so high.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Do you know why the FC is so high?

We view swimming up to your shock level as safe...which in the case of 100 ppm cya is 39 ppm FC. See: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-...ya_chart_shock
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

8. Back To Top    #8

I assume the FC s high from the chlorine he had been pouring in there without testing. And the pucks?

9. Back To Top    #9

pH is likely skewed as it does not test correct at levels over about 10 ppm FC, personally I would dump half the water refill and go from there. (note there is danger of pool floating (popping out of the ground) if you drain too much at once and have a high water table, so if you have a high water table you might want to remove 1/4 of the water, refill and repeat.

Ike

p.s. note that without using the dilution method the CYA test is only good to read up to about 100 ppm, so your CYA may be much higher

oopps auto correct strikes again
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

10. Back To Top    #10

I didn't think cement/gunite/plaster pools were at risk to pop out of the ground. I thought that was more of a risk with vinyl or fiberglass pools?

11. Back To Top    #11
    25000-gallon semi-public IG concrete/plaster pool, Triton II sand filter
    750-gallon semi-public IG concrete/plaster spa, cartridge filter
    Volunteer pool caretaker for my condominium complex

12. Back To Top    #12

My First Pool

Hey Everybody, Happy New Year! I just tested again and it looks to me like it's coming around. I haven't added anything, other than fresh water. I just let the hose run in it for most of a day. Here's where it was and where it is now. Please advise me on where to go from here. The water looks sparkling clear with no evidence of algae. It's a pleasure to swim in, with odor of chlorine or anything else.

12/13/13 1/1/14
    FC 36 FC 25
    CC 0 CC 2
    pH 7.2 pH 7.5
    TA 50 TA 70
    CH 260 CH 375
    CYA >100 CYA 55

I appreciate the advice, and I will have more time now, after the holidays, to read more of the info on this site.
    Thanks again,
    Dan

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by maryspoolboy
    Hey Everybody, Happy New Year! I just tested again and it looks to me like it's coming around. I haven't added anything, other than fresh water. I just let the hose run in it for most of a day. Here's where it was and where it is now. Please advise me on where to go from here. The water looks sparkling clear with no evidence of algae. It's a pleasure to swim in, with odor of chlorine or anything else.

12/13/13 1/1/14
    FC 36 FC 25
    CC 0 CC 2
    pH 7.2 pH 7.5
    TA 50 TA 70
    CH 260 CH 375
    CYA >100 CYA 55

I appreciate the advice, and I will have more time now, after the holidays, to read more of the info on this site.
    Thanks again,
    Dan
    Question: how big a sample are you using for FC, and what are you multiplying the drops by? 25 is above shock level for 55 CYA, and should be rough on the eyes and swimsuits if correct. Also note your pH reading will be wrong if the FC readings are correct. CC looks high, but many water companies use chloramines to disinfect and prevent corrosion, so if the water is clear and the number dissipates, it's nothing to worry about. Is this a continuation of some earlier thread? If so, try to keep things together. It's easy to lose track of things. In the summer, we might see 200 new threads a day.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

14. Back To Top    #14

For the FC, 10 ml, 50 drops multiply 0.5 = 25 I may not be doing the CYA test correctly
    Sorry, i don't know to do the thread thing. Should I have just replied to my previous post?

15. Back To Top    #15

My First Pool

How did you do the CYA test ? You want to it in full sun with your back to the sun and the sample at waist high. When the black dot disappears take your reading. Also if your pool water temp is low bring sample inside to get to room temp.

The reason to keep everything under the same thread you started is so everybody can follow the history better and see your previous posts. It just makes things easier.
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

16. Back To Top    #16

OK, Jeff, thanks. Previously I did the the CYA test as you described. this time I was facing east, so the sun was on my right. It makes sense that lighting would have a significant impact. I will re-test CYA tomorrow

17. Back To Top    #17

Yep you got it. The test is light sensitive.
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

18. Back To Top    #18

Topics/posts merged--------your friendly neighborhood woodyp!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

19. Back To Top    #19

Hi All, Finally got around to testing again. It's been a little chilly here for swimming, so I didn't test til today. The water has remained crystal clear and sparkly.

CL 7.5
    CC 0
    TC 7.5
    pH 8.2
    TA 70
    CH 350
    CYA 80

I'm guessing I should add some acid? How much and in what form? Any other thoughts are welcome

Thanks,
    Dan

20. Back To Top    #20

You can use poolmath (there's a link at the top of the page) to find out how much acid you should use. We prefer muriatic acid for pH adjustments.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast