Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New build plumbing help

1. Back To Top    #1

New build plumbing help

Hello, I was hoping you wise pool owners/builders could tell me if I am going to be okay with the bid I plan to accept for my pool plumbing as an OB. It is a 16x38 IG Gunite pebble rectangle pool with an additional 5x10 reef shelf, 3.5-7 ft, and we are in Southern California where it occasionally gets into the low 30s and high 20s at night in the winter. We do NOT have a spa (we did originally, but took it out for budget purposes). I'm hoping you can tell me if the piping sizes are large enough, different valves needed, more skimmers, enough returns, is there a need for never lube valve vs check vslve, etc.??? We are going to us The PoolCleaner suction cleaner. We have a 3HP VS Pentiar Intelliflo pump 011018, FNS Plus 60 sq ft filter, Paramount Clear 03 Ozone (I know many don't believe in this, so I am still deciding on this so let's leave that for another topic) , 2 ea. Intellibrite 5g color LED lights, 1 ea. GloBrite LED color light, 48" Jandy Sheer Descent.

Here is what he has listed on his bid. Any changes you would make???:

Pool Only 2.5" skimmer suction
    2" to 1" returns 3 ea.
    1.5" pool cleaner line
    light niche bonding for light and E.Q. fill line 20"
    Autofill
    24 hr A/S valve
    spa by pass 2 " (I think this was left in there from the previous bid when we had a spa included, but now we don't - I have to check with him)
    Additional Jandy 48" sheer descent
    2" PVC sch 40 waterfall return
    bolt down E.Q.
    Additional bonding
    set heat pump
    set ozone with separate line 3/4"
    light niche
    Jandy Checkvalve
    Pool run in excess
    service call return to hook up waterfall

Thank you so much in advance for your help!!!
    24k gallon 16x38 IG shotcrete pool + 5x10 tanning shelf, Stonescapes Tropics Blue, Heat Siphon Z575HP Heat Pump (11.45 KW PV SunPower Solar), Pentair 3HP VS Pump 001018, Pentair SWG IC40, 2 Pentair IntelliBrite 5G 120v color LED pool lights, Pentair IntelliGlo 5G 12v color LED shallow water light w/300W transformer, Pentair DE FNS Plus 60sf filter, 24" rbb wall, 3.5-7' depth, TFT100 Test Kit, K1776 Salt Test kit, '07 Sundance Chelsee spa

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New build plumbing help

Is there a floor drain? If so, it should be plumbed separately to the equipment pad with Jandy valve to select between the two. If you do have these 2 runs, then 2" pipe is plenty big. I would also use 2" on the cleaner line.

What is the check valve even for?

And you are right ... the ozone is pointless.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I will have 2 floor drains. And the check valve is so the D.E. filter does not back flow. And are 3 returns enough or should I make sure to get a deep heat line?
    24k gallon 16x38 IG shotcrete pool + 5x10 tanning shelf, Stonescapes Tropics Blue, Heat Siphon Z575HP Heat Pump (11.45 KW PV SunPower Solar), Pentair 3HP VS Pump 001018, Pentair SWG IC40, 2 Pentair IntelliBrite 5G 120v color LED pool lights, Pentair IntelliGlo 5G 12v color LED shallow water light w/300W transformer, Pentair DE FNS Plus 60sf filter, 24" rbb wall, 3.5-7' depth, TFT100 Test Kit, K1776 Salt Test kit, '07 Sundance Chelsee spa

4. Back To Top    #4

Well then I would be sure to have the floor NOT plumbed into the skimmer and have the floor and skimmer plumbed separately to the equipment pad ... 2" again should be plenty.

3 returns might be enough ... and a deep heat line is optional.

I still am not sure why you need a check valve. What water will be above the filter trying to force it to back flow?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!