Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need to buy a new brush...recommendations please

1. Back To Top    #1

Need to buy a new brush...recommendations please

Have a salt water pool with Hydrozzo light blue finish and is 1yr. old. The contractor that built it for us gave us a 18" brush which has a combination of nylon & some stainless steel bristles. The pool company said that this type of brush also help polished the finish some.
    http://www.lesliespool.com/Home/Pool...hes/20155.html

I'm in the process of dealing with my pool chemistry right now, diluting etc., to mainly reduce my high CH & CYA and bringing my pool into balanced chemistry after those numbers come down. (I already have another thread on this) I did see some Calcium deposits on my tile the other day just below the coping which I got about 80% off with elbow grease, BUT if it's there, it's probably on my walls also. I was brushing about once a week this summer but I'm going to increase that to 3x's a week now.

So is this the type of brush with the link I provided the one I want to continue with?

Martin
    10k gal., Hydrozzo finish, in ground chlorine pool, No Spa, No Heater, Built in Oct 2012 TF-100 test kit Jandy Cartridge Filter CV340 Jandy VSFloPro Variable Speed Pump Model VS-FHP2.0 Hayward TigerShark QC Robotic Pool Cleaner RC9990GR Intermatic 100 watt Safety Transformer Model# PX 100 Intermatic Freeze Sentry PF 1202T.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Need to buy a new brush...recommendations please

Hello,
    When I bought the house it had a Nylon brush that was worn. I picked up a stainless steel one and couldn't be happier. I picked it up off of amazon for the price I think it's a great deal. It's holding up very well purchased in July 2012.

Poolmaster 20183 Classic 18-Inch Aluminum Back Algae Pool Brush

Here's the link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0017SW5E8/

It looks like it's the same one that Leslies has for $32
    http://www.lesliespool.com/Home/Pool-Op ... 82504.html
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

3. Back To Top    #3

Based on several recommendations from folks around the site here I just recently bought the "whale tail" brush (you can "Bing" or "Google" it).

It has a side fin that helps apply brush pressure to the pool walls, and it definitely saves some wear and tear on the back!
    Mesa, AZ Spillover spa and inground pool, 12,500 G, pebble finish, Hayward C5030 (525sf) Cartridge Filter, Hayward EcoStar VS Pump, Installed July 2013, Hayward SWG T-Cell-15, Trident UV (I know, I know....was installed before I found this site!) Rock grotto waterfall, LED ColorLogic lighting, 110 BTU Heat Pro Electric Heat Pump, Maytronics Dolphin Supreme M5 cleaner, TF-100 test kit with Speed Stir.

4. Back To Top    #4

So, the mixture of some Stainless bristles aren't important?
    10k gal., Hydrozzo finish, in ground chlorine pool, No Spa, No Heater, Built in Oct 2012 TF-100 test kit Jandy Cartridge Filter CV340 Jandy VSFloPro Variable Speed Pump Model VS-FHP2.0 Hayward TigerShark QC Robotic Pool Cleaner RC9990GR Intermatic 100 watt Safety Transformer Model# PX 100 Intermatic Freeze Sentry PF 1202T.

5. Back To Top    #5

I would not think steel bristles are necessary. I think they may be a bit too aggressive for your hydrozzo finish, and if your pool chemistry is kept in balance all you are trying to do is keep the majority of small particles off of the pool walls and floor.....
    Mesa, AZ Spillover spa and inground pool, 12,500 G, pebble finish, Hayward C5030 (525sf) Cartridge Filter, Hayward EcoStar VS Pump, Installed July 2013, Hayward SWG T-Cell-15, Trident UV (I know, I know....was installed before I found this site!) Rock grotto waterfall, LED ColorLogic lighting, 110 BTU Heat Pro Electric Heat Pump, Maytronics Dolphin Supreme M5 cleaner, TF-100 test kit with Speed Stir.

6. Back To Top    #6

The stainless steel brush will last longer than the nylon brush.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

7. Back To Top    #7

I second the whale tail, I love mine
    35K IG Vinyl 20 x 40 self built pool, Hayward Pro Series High-Rate Sand Filter 31" 98gal/min, Hayward TriStar 1.85hp, Hayward 400btu heater, BBB method w/Hypo, Jazz light w/matching fiber optic rope lighting around coping w/syncronized color wheels. Concrete Paver deck.

8. Back To Top    #8

I wore out the nylon brush on my Whale Tail and transplanted the 'tail' on to a stainless brush. (I have plain white plaster.) I was lucky; the screw holes lined up. Best of both worlds.
    Current: 28,000G 18'x36' I/G AnthonySylvan Plaster; Waterway 60 sq.ft. DE Filter; 1.0hp x 1.65 SF Two-Speed (B2982) WhisperFlo; 2004-Present
    Previous: 40,000G 20'x40' I/G Koven unlined WWII salvage 5/8" marine steel; Lomart Stainless Sand Filter; 3/4hp Hayward SuperPump; 1946-2003 (managed by me from about 1964)
    Ancient Taylor K-2000, upgraded with Taylor CH, TA, and FAS-DPD, and TFT CYA tests.