Maximum safe FC level

Smykowski said:
jbinbali said:
Hi... anyone know what's the maximum FC level that is still safe for swimming?
Up to SLAM level based on your CYA.
Welcome! :wave:

To expand on that a little... the safe FC level depends on the CYA level. If you have no CYA, figure 10 FC is as high as you can go. And I would expect that to be rough on eyeballs and bathing suits. If, however, your pool has been overloaded with CYA from years of using trichlor pucks and weekly "shock" per the pool store, you could probably swim in 50 FC with no problem. Check out this chart in Pool School:
pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock Anything up to shock (SLAM) level is safe.

In fact, there's a ton of information in You can learn our lingo by reading the articles in there.

Tks so much... really helpful. I have to own up and tell you I live in Bali. I have a tiny tiled concrete pool (about 10,000 ltr) but it's been a nightmare trying to keep it clear of algae. My major problem (besides trying to communicate technical terms and chemicals in the local language) is there are no decent test kits here, just the basic. So what I'm going to try is to shock it to the max level (FC 10 - its relatively new water and never been properly shocked before so CYA 'should be low' ), if that turns from green to light blue or white then continue to keep it at that level for a few days then flock it and start again. Of course the Ph and TA will be checked (the TA is low - about 60 however finding baking soda here except in 50mg containers is a challenge), the sand in the filter is new and I'll be constantly brushing the pool while shocking it. Wish me luck!

Do have the pink DPD chlorine test or the yellow OTO chlorine test? The pink one can bleach out at high FC levels so you think it is low when it is not. The yellow one just turns orange and brown at the higher FC levels, so you have some clue how high it is.

So, hope you can get the OTO one as that is a little better ... Although far short of the recommended FAS-DPD test.

And a TA of 60 is fine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.