Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Maximum safe FC level

1. Back To Top    #1

Maximum safe FC level

Hi... anyone know what's the maximum FC level that is still safe for swimming?
    18,500 gunite/pebble plaster, Taylor K-2006 test kit, Jandy 2hp variable pump, cart. filter, ozone system, in-line-chlorinator(not in use), borates, Polaris 9400

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Maximum safe FC level

Quote Originally Posted by jbinbali
    Up to SLAM level based on your CYA.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Smykowski
    Quote Originally Posted by jbinbali
    Up to SLAM level based on your CYA.
    Welcome!

To expand on that a little... the safe FC level depends on the CYA level. If you have no CYA, figure 10 FC is as high as you can go. And I would expect that to be rough on eyeballs and bathing suits. If, however, your pool has been overloaded with CYA from years of using trichlor pucks and weekly "shock" per the pool store, you could probably swim in 50 FC with no problem. Check out this chart in Pool School:
    pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock Anything up to shock (SLAM) level is safe.

In fact, there's a ton of information in You can learn our lingo by reading the articles in there.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Jeez, my bad. Didn't see it was your first post. Welcome to the forum!

Tapatalk makes me brief, but Richard picked up the ball I just dropped.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

5. Back To Top    #5

Tks so much... really helpful. I have to own up and tell you I live in Bali. I have a tiny tiled concrete pool (about 10,000 ltr) but it's been a nightmare trying to keep it clear of algae. My major problem (besides trying to communicate technical terms and chemicals in the local language) is there are no decent test kits here, just the basic. So what I'm going to try is to shock it to the max level (FC 10 - its relatively new water and never been properly shocked before so CYA 'should be low' ), if that turns from green to light blue or white then continue to keep it at that level for a few days then flock it and start again. Of course the Ph and TA will be checked (the TA is low - about 60 however finding baking soda here except in 50mg containers is a challenge), the sand in the filter is new and I'll be constantly brushing the pool while shocking it. Wish me luck!
    18,500 gunite/pebble plaster, Taylor K-2006 test kit, Jandy 2hp variable pump, cart. filter, ozone system, in-line-chlorinator(not in use), borates, Polaris 9400

6. Back To Top    #6

Do have the pink DPD chlorine test or the yellow OTO chlorine test? The pink one can bleach out at high FC levels so you think it is low when it is not. The yellow one just turns orange and brown at the higher FC levels, so you have some clue how high it is.

So, hope you can get the OTO one as that is a little better ... Although far short of the recommended FAS-DPD test.

And a TA of 60 is fine.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Yeah I've got the OTO (yellow one), and great to know TA is ok as it seems most of the info I read says it should be around 100... thanks again

8. Back To Top    #8

The only reason to raise the TA that high is if you were using Trichlor tablets, which we do not recommend.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!