Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Robotic cleaner for indoor 120,000gal pool (75x42)

1. Back To Top    #1

Robotic cleaner for indoor 120,000gal pool (75x42)

Hey all,

I'm an AD at a non-profit. finally getting rid of the outboard suction model (works great when I can actually get suction) and looking at a robot model. we're on a budget but are looking at the dolphin wave 90. my supplier is a licensed dolphin dealer/servicer so that's all they carry.

as far as debris, it's mostly band-aids, hair, and the occasional cheri-o. there is a lot of "dust" on the floor but my old vacuum never reached the entire pool (hose length and frustration).

do we need to spend the money on the vacuum for large pool or can I get by with something cheaper and just cycle it more often? I usually only attempt to vacuum once a week (aside from diving in and picking up the big junk) we also want it to be able to pick up the fine particulates.

can anyone speak about a unit they have experience with? any info will help. thanks!
    north shore, MA.(non-profit, commercial, indoor,heated) 120,00 gal, plaster, IG, 10hp motor, 600gpm, chlorine, sand

2. Back To Top    #2
    SW Louisiana

Re: Robotic cleaner for indoor 120,000gal pool (75x42)

You might get away with a residential model and run it multiple times powered from each corner of the pool in order to reach the whole thing. Most residential models have cords between 50-65 ft in length, you might also want one with adjustable run time. Watch out about the fine print on the Dolphins thought, I am on my second Dolphin unit (First was an old Dolphin Diagnostic, I found a deal on a closeout / discontinued Dolphin Pro). It seems Dolphin played a bit of a trick with this model, it is identical to the Diagnostic Advantage except color scheme, they called it a commercial cleaner, and extended the warranty by 30%, but at the same time changed its built in non-adjustable timer from 3 hour run cycle to 2 hour run cycle.

Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

The provided cord length of a cleaner is a pretty good indicator of what you can expect on a big pool.

You will not have good luck if the cleaner cannot reach from the power supply and then to both side of your pool. It'll be pricey.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Yea, that is a big pool. But, Dolphin makes some big cleaners for commercial applications too. I think the wave 100 is about 6K.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    TF-100 Test Kit, ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Flagstone, 36"SF, Pentair VS Pump, EasyTouch W/Remote, Rheem 400KBTU Htr

5. Back To Top    #5

Parkland, FL

You could get a refurb wave 100 for 2000. wave 75 refurb is 995. Motor unit for the 100 is 1000 and for the 75 is 500 and thats really the only thing that can go wrong aside from the power supply.
    12000 gal diamond brite pool with 400 gal spillover spa, 1 1/2 HP pump and Hayward 1100 cartridge filter, Hayward Heatpump.